Worth the extra money?

Smilewiper91
Smilewiper91 Posts: 3
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Hope I am posting in the right place. I will be honest I'm clueless as such about bikes lol. I have been on a bike before but want to start cycling more. Purely just as a fun way of keeping fit. I am wondering should I buy the trek fx 3 2018 or go with the Boardman hybrid team 2018.
https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-fx-3-2 ... gJ0-vD_BwE

Or

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... 4cm-frames

Now I know there is a price difference but its not much. I also see the Boardman has disc breaks which are better in wet conditions. To be honest though I won't be riding much in the rain. I am simply get the bike as a little hobby to keep fit. On a nice warm evening I'd like to just jump on the bike and go for a ride for a few miles. For someone who just wants a bike to ride a few miles a couple times a week in the summer will the trek 3 be good enough? Or is it worth me paying the extra for the Boardman?

Comments

• ctp046
    ctp046 Posts: 47
    The Boardman will be better overall, nicer shifting, nicer breaking etc. The components on there are just better. However, based on your description, my advice would be go with the cheaper trek and save the cash difference. If you get hooked on cycling you'll be looking for something new with either bike (probably a full on road bike). If you don't get hooked you won't notice the difference or else the bike will sit in the garage but that won't be due to the difference between the two bikes.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    For the use you say either would be ok.
    I’d say the trek is overpriced for the specification and the Boardman much better value.
    The trek has lower gears which will make climbing very steep hills a bit easier, especially if carrying eg heavy panniers. However the gearing on the Boardman does go quite low, and has much better quality gears and chain-set. Hydraulic discs are good too. I much prefer the Boardman.

Nb British cycling or cycling uk membership will give 10% of Halfords I think.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    The go-to choice for value is usually Decathalon though - flat bar triban 520 is better than the trek I’d say and cheaper.

Evans should let you actually ride the thing before buying. Halfords or Decathalon probably won’t. Halfords and to some extent Evans get a bad rap for very hit or miss staff capabilities and advice. I don’t think Decathalon will know anything or has any service support, but I’ve never bought from them.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    For what you say you are looking for, that boardman strikes me as overkill.

What about this (arguably still overkill)
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165534&productId=1326025&storeId=10001

Fwiw, I've been able to test ride bikes at all 3 of those stores, and Decathlon after sales service has a good rep, and has been excellent in my experience, though like most places, it can be pot luck who you end up dealing with, and some people there don't know one end of a spanner from tuther, same as other two places really.
    At my local halfords we've struck gold, with a genuine enthusiast who used to race for a german team, proper good mechanic too, aside from veing someone you can just talk bikes with.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    The go-to choice for value is usually Decathalon though - flat bar triban 520 is better than the trek I’d say and cheaper.

Agreed.
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I don’t think Decathalon will know anything or has any service support, but I’ve never bought from them.

It depends on the store ( to an extent ) but most of the stores I’ve used have been very good from this perspective.

For the O.P.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100- ... 00949.html

This is worth a look. It’s mechanically simple, and not a bad bike at all, if you are only riding occasionally.
  • Cheers people, all have given me something to think about. Have to be honest I have came away feeling slightly put off the trek. Really tempted for the Boardman, love the look of it. I am not loaded but I could stretch to that price. Understand what your saying about it maybe ending up in the garage. Honestly though I can't see that happening, I am itching to get riding. I am probably going to get the bike Saturday, proper desperate to get riding.