Paint repair

Andymaxy
Andymaxy Posts: 197
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Hi, just got a new bike and did so far less than 200 miles in it. When I got the bike I covered the top of the chainstay with helicopter tape immediately, however, I found that there are a lot of scratches under the drive side chainstay. I thought I did a good enough job proctecting the pain to but guess not:(

Anyways, most scratches didn't go through the glossy clear goat, so those are easy repairs. One scratch however, went deep through the base layer and now the bare carbon is exposed. Any advice on fixing these kind of chips?

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Andymaxy wrote:
    Hi, just got a new bike and did so far less than 200 miles in it. When I got the bike I covered the top of the chainstay with helicopter tape immediately, however, I found that there are a lot of scratches under the drive side chainstay. I thought I did a good enough job proctecting the pain to but guess not:(

Anyways, most scratches didn't go through the glossy clear goat, so those are easy repairs. One scratch however, went deep through the base layer and now the bare carbon is exposed. Any advice on fixing these kind of chips?

Sounds like a totally Shite paint job to me.

I had argos do a frame a couple of years ago and that was soft as wank too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Nail varnish or touch up paint from Halfords.

It's paint on a bicycle.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Andymaxy wrote:

After just 200 miles? Where the hell were you riding?
    Roads round here (mid Wales) are shocking but I still wouldn't expect to get significant scratches or chips after just 200 miles, not unless they have recently put down the chippings surface.

Out of interest, what bike is it?
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    This is a canyon aeroad, the bike has a very thick clear coat, and it's fairly scratch resistant. I did a 60 mile race that had pretty bad potholes. I don't blame that on the paint job, it's probably just that I didn't do well enough to cover the sensitive areas. The bike actually came with a very thin tape on the chainstay, which I removed to change to a thicker one. The rear wheel might have kicked up rocks and hit the bottom of the chainstay, or the chain have been bouncing excessively. (I can only find scratches under the drive side chainstay)