Adding Fresh Sealant on Top of Dried Sealant (Tubeless)

cgfw201
cgfw201 Posts: 680
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Bit of a tubeless novice. Been running 42mm WTB Resolute tyres on my Slate for 5 months. No punctures, tubeless seems to be brilliant.

Remembered yesterday that tubeless can dry out so checked and sure enough there's just a coat of dried sealant round each tyre now. I also pulled out a handful of thorns and little sharp things which were in there and had been successfully sealed.

Anyway, I just added 20ml of new sealant into each tyre and reinflated them last night, is there anything wrong with doing this?

Have read elsewhere that people spend hours peeling the old sealant off the inside, and that it turns into chewing gum like little balls on the inside. Mine didn't look like that.

If it's only a 20g weight penalty I'm not fussed on this bike.

IMAG2404.jpg

Comments

• orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    Normally we put 60ml in MTB-tires and 30ml in road-tires. You don't need to peeling the old sealant off the inside.
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    You did more than me - I just took the valve core out and injected 'some more' into the tyre. I have started noticing that there are numerous little wet patches around the tyre where the sealant is seeping a little through the myriad punctures (each of which would have stopped me before going tubeless). I just keep topping the air up when needed, which isn't every ride.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 680
    Tres bien. All sounds fine, was mildly concerned that dried sealant would cause wet sealant to set or not work or something.