best mic to do work calls while on my bike?

idahobikeguy
idahobikeguy Posts: 4
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello all!

I've been trying to answer a trickier than expected question. Can anybody help?

Goal = bike while doing business calls, and have nobody know I'm biking...
Needs = awesome noise reduction mic, sweat proof, easy mute function
headset to buy: any recommendation here?

I would love you forever if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I imagine the roads of Idaho to be fairly quiet but surely anything that distracts you whilst cycling is not a good idea?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Unless you're just listening in, its a crazy idea. How do you expect to concentrate and speak while cycling with all that puffing and panting going on?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • So you want a hands free in other words?
  • So you want a hands free in other words?
    Pretty much. With a great noise-cancelling mic.

Thanks!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    What if you are going uphill and get a bit breathless, what is the person on the other end going to think you are doing?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I tried to do a conference call on my (off-road) commute. It was shit. Trying un-mute on the screen was a pain in the arse, and I wasn't paying attention and dropped a glove without noticing. I had to go back for it so didn't save any time by keeping cycling, I'd have been better off just stopping to do the call! I won't be trying it again, especially not on roads.

A physical mute button on the headset is a must if you wanted to attempt it.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697
    Noise cancellation really only works well for repetitive noise. So not bad in a plane or car, but I doubt that effective for wind noise.

Assuming you don't cycle into anything, the other main issue you will have is sounding avoiding sounding like a telephone sex line. I'm not sure what you do for a living. Perhaps this would be good for business?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I agree with the above, it's not advisable. You should concentrate on riding your bike, not talking on the phone.

However, just get yourself a good handsfree kit if you decide you have to have it....like this:

iphone4face_1_011.jpeg

:lol::lol:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697
    Is that Chris Boardman?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    dvmjxqrdu1dyqfbbrsgr
  • hahaha some awesome responses - thanks guys :)

Seems like a tough problem to crack. It's an easy, off road bike with no people.

But yeah - the phone sex thing is funny haha.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    MF always finds hat two yoghurt pots joined together with string works for him. Or baby monitors.

One of th two options.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Don't phones have built in noise cancellation when using it as a phone? I thought these worked by having a microphone on the back which records the background noise, and the microphone on the front recording background noise+speech, take one from the other and you have speech with low background noise.

I suppose you need a microphone which can do something like this. https://youtu.be/m7CtnR47w20?t=586 (Mehdi Sadaghdar: lots of shouting and bleeped out swears) - apparently get it as close to your mouth as possible and have the gain control in the microphone rather than relying on the phone to do it.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Putting aside the safety stuff, I doubt you will find a microphone which will do what you want to the extent that you want it.

The wind noise and your breathing will be too much.

Lots of my friends use this technology in a motorbike helmet when riding and even then they struggle to make the sound quality good. They are constantly fiddling with the microphone settings and position. They eventually get it but it's not easy.

Take away the helmet and I suspect you have little to no chance.