Anyone tried the Assos Equipe Evo shorts?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
I noticed today that after about 3 years my Assos Equipe S7 shorts have two small holes appearing at each end of where the rear of the pad is sewn in. I'm looking for a replacement and wondering if anyone has tried the Evo version? I didn't even know about them until today and it looks like a very minor upgrade. Just trying to decide if I should buy a pair or give something else like la passione a go.

Comments

• Haven’t tried to be Evos but I have the same two holes appeared on my Equipes after about 18 months...look almost like moth holes but they’re either end of the pad on the front, so kind of in front of your pelvis if that makes sense? Maybe a design issue?
    Anyway, I’ve just ordered a pair of Parentini Shark 2 based on Benders review...should be here tomorrow, hoping to ride them Sunday.
  • I've given up on Assos bib shorts, either they go as above or the material goes thin just above your arsecrack.

3 pairs recently bought all worn gone the same with very little wear/ use
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • prhymeate
    Looks like I might try something else then if you guys have had the same problem. It started happening at the front about a year ago, which I could live with as nobody could really see... I draw the line at flashing anyone behind me though. The one thing I love about the Assos shorts is that it just holds your junk out front, rather than smashing it to one side. The low front is also really handy for toilet stops... I feel like I'm going to break a wrist trying to force my Endura shorts down.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Just bought a pair. Very good, incremental improvements, not much in it.

Mine are all mint after years of use.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • prhymeate
    Just bought a pair. Very good, incremental improvements, not much in it.

Mine are all mint after years of use.

hmm, I'm kinda tempted to try some of the dhb Ultralight shorts from their new Aeron Lab range. Do you know if you might be getting your hands on a pair for review? Great work by the way!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    All the Assos shorts I’ve owned have been comfortable, but not overly robust. Most have Lycra ‘bobbling’ on the rear above the pad, which is due to snapped Lycra threads I guess. This is on two pairs of winter (roubaix) shorts (can’t remember the product name) and is not due to road spray up the crack of your arse (which is usually how the summer ones go thin and see through) because they are only ever worn when I ride my winter bike with full guards.

Summer ones have either gone see through up the back and/ or completely faded, to a light black/ grey colour which look horrid when drops of sweat land on them. They have always been washed with Assos sports wash at 30 degrees, so it is not using biological powder, which can cause this.

So I also think the quality is just not there, as in how long they last, not the construction, feel, comfort etc. I am working my way through other brands now trying to find my new Holy Grail cycling shorts...

PP
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    All the Assos shorts I’ve owned have been comfortable, but not overly robust. Most have Lycra ‘bobbling’ on the rear above the pad, which is due to snapped Lycra threads I guess. This is on two pairs of winter (roubaix) shorts (can’t remember the product name) and is not due to road spray up the crack of your ars* (which is usually how the summer ones go thin and see through) because they are only ever worn when I ride my winter bike with full guards.

Summer ones have either gone see through up the back and/ or completely faded, to a light black/ grey colour which look horrid when drops of sweat land on them. They have always been washed with Assos sports wash at 30 degrees, so it is not using biological powder, which can cause this.

So I also think the quality is just not there, as in how long they last, not the construction, feel, comfort etc. I am working my way through other brands now trying to find my new Holy Grail cycling shorts...

PP

Red White
    https://www.redwhite.cc/
    https://roubaixcycling.cc/2016/09/05/redwhite-the-bibs/
  • prhymeate
    I've ordered the new dhb Aeron Lab Ultralight Bib Shorts to see what they're about. The dhb kit seems to be getting better each year and with free returns, I figured they're worth a look.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    completely faded, to a light black/ grey colour which look horrid when drops of sweat land on them.

PP

A pair of my wife's older series ones have done this. Perfectly functional but now relegated to the turbo

I have 4 pairs of shorts/knickers/tights from the newer series and all look as good as the day they were bought.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have 4 pairs of F1 uno ‘s which are of various ages the oldest about 10 years. No holes abit see through in some cases but who cares when you get my age you are supposed to be embarrassing.
  • prhymeate
    FWIW I am returning the DHB Aeron Lab shorts. They are nice and the pad looks good, but they are kinda low fitting. I actually like a low front because it makes call of nature a lot easier, but I prefer a bit more height around the sides/back. I'm sure they will be fine for some but they just don't feel right to me.