700 25c in the wet

m3trackboy
m3trackboy Posts: 97
edited May 2018 in Road beginners
I have got Mavic Aksion 700 25c tyres do i need a different tyre for the wet?
Sorry if a stupid question but just got my first road bike so finding my way

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    No - they'll be fine. Grip on all tyres is reduced in the wet so take it a bit easier on corners.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    negatron. as above.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Generally speaking, lowering the pressures 5-10PSI compared to your dry pressures isn't a bad idea, to increase the contact patch size.

Wider tyres will increase the contact patch further.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Mavic seem to be supplying them with their Aksium WTS ( wheel tyre system) packages. I have them in a 700c x 25c size on one of my road bikes, they are fine in the wet.
  • Broke my leg in the wet on a Mavic tyre. I dare say any brand could have let go, but the fact that it was a Mavic means I won't trust the brand in the wet these days.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • JTUK
    JTUK Posts: 67
    Mavic make nice wheels but the tyres are not the best. They’re not bad for grip but they tend to wear quite quickly and also do not have puncture protection. You have a far higher chance of pricking up a stone or piece of glass that gets stuck in the tyre when riding in wet conditions. You want something with a high tpi count. This is the durability of the tyre that is built into the construction. It means using a stronger carcass, one or more layers of puncture resistant material under the rubber compound. I use Continental GP4000 after having the experience of getting three punctures in one ride with a worn Mavic tyre.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    If you want puncture resistance, don’t use Continental GP4000sII tyres, go for something like Schwalbe Durano+ tyres, in a 700c x 25mm size. This will allow you to decrease the pressure you need to avoid pinch flats, over a 23mm tyre, and increase comfort / grip a bit.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Broke my leg in the wet on a Mavic tyre. I dare say any brand could have let go, but the fact that it was a Mavic means I won't trust the brand in the wet these days.

Broke both my ankles and my knee on a GSXR with Metzelers. I dare say I could have smashed myself up on any brand but the fact it was a Suzuki/Metzeler combo that had nothing to do with the accident means I have no problem in trusting the both brands in any conditions.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If you want puncture resistance, don’t use Continental GP4000sII tyres, go for something like Schwalbe Durano+ tyres, in a 700c x 25mm size. This will allow you to decrease the pressure you need to avoid pinch flats, over a 23mm tyre, and increase comfort / grip a bit.
    He wants more grip not less.... :roll: :roll:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • JTUK
    JTUK Posts: 67
    Svetty wrote:
    He wants more grip not less.... :roll: :roll:

Wot he say. Good luck with those rubbish tyres in the wet. Hard compound designed for touring/commuters. I’ve used Gatorskins (similar) and hated them. GP4000II are lighter and better grip.
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    It depends what your roads are like.
    I found gatorskins fine living in a relatively flat city.
    I live in a rural/agricutural area now.roads are steeper,twistier and have less grip.i lost faith in duranos after losing grip a few times.
    Liked conti 4seasons and did have some michelin pro4 grip which were good.got some michelin power all seasons for next winter.
  • I don't know the exact correction but I just use the FFT spreadsheet which has a "weather correction". Here is the link https://goo.gl/zonJ2i