Install semi integrated headset carbon frame

kleinstroker
kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Hi all

I have to install a semi integrated headset in my cheapish chinese C60 carbon frame, but having never done it before, wanted to check if I should use a headset press, and what tolerances can I get away with? Most headsets in the ZS44/ZS55 range seem to be 0.1-0.2mm wider than the ID of steerer tube.
On a titanium/ally frame I wouldn't worry about it so much but on carbon which has virtually no give I'm not sure what to do

cheers

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My CR1 came with the pressfit BB installed but I had to press the supplied headset cups into the frame. Bought a £5 Ebay job consisting of threaded bar and a few big washers & spacers. I didn't bother measuring anything; I assumed Scott supplied the right size, and top and bottom were the same. The cups must've been slightly oversize because I failed to notice the top one going in a bit skewed; when it suddenly went in with a loud crack I damn near fouled myself :shock:

So watch out for that. I'm guessing a proper headset press might keep them straight..
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    I won't bother if the bearing is 0,1mm wider and press it in by hand or plastic hamer but if you do you can use fine sandpaper to enlarge the steerer tube. :wink:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • kleinstroker
    Thanks

The Scott/Lapierre tapered one is the one I was after, 1/1/8 to 1 1/2 but with 44mm top and 55mm bottom cups, so not easy to find. I've got a proper headset press so will go slowly
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    If you use a press, your best bet is to go for one with ‘wing nut profiled collars, the one I’ve got can do all sorts of shapes and profiles of top tubes / head tubes, but I needed The adaptor it came with to press the bearings into the frame on my bike with the curved top tube and short head tube, and I couldn’t locate the adaptor, so ended up
    Using a piece of wood and a mallet.

rreIgUA.jpg

The one I have

7WZBh2U.jpg

The one I should have.
  • kleinstroker
    Yeah, Ive got one like the bottom one, so hopefully should do the job

cheers