Pyrenees Cycling Trip with a non cycling wife

salsamuffin204
salsamuffin204 Posts: 27
edited May 2018 in Tour & expedition
Thinking about heading to the Pyrenees this summer. I'll take my bike and will do the major cols in the area. Maybe even catch a stage of the tour by the road.

I'll be with my tolerant non cycling wife.

I was thinking about basing us in Luz Saint Saveur which seems perfect for the cycling but was wondering if there's anything there for a non cycling partner to do while I'm out riding? Tourist attractions, walks, bit of shopping, pleasant cafes, bars, and restaurants?

Any suggestions for a better base that would have more stuff for my wife to do but still allow me good access to the cols?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,928
    I'm in a somewhat similar position in the my wife doesn't ride but is supportive in me riding.

Last June we spent a few days in the Pyrenees mainly to let me achieve my ambition of riding the Tourmalet on my 70th.
    We stayed a few nights in Bareges. For the Tourmalet I descended down to Luz Saint Sauveur for the start.
    My wife did some walking from Bareges then took the car and met me at the top of the Tourmalet. She thoroughly enjoyed it.
    The following day I rode Luz Ardiden from Luz Saint Sauveur. My wife stayed in Luz Saint Sauveur and did a nice walk from there and we met up again after I got down from Luz Ardiden. That afternoon we watched the Route du Sud race come through the town. We eat in Luz and had a few drinks there. Our general impression was that it was a nice place, reasonable number of shops, good atmosphere, lots of cyclists and nice buzz.

It worked out so well we're planning to go back again this year. We'll probably stay in Bareges again as we liked the place/people we stayed with but would be happy staying in Luz. My wife is quite keen to do this so that's a positive from my perspective. She'd like to do some more walking whilst I disappear.

All this is only based on us just spending a few days there but thought it might help.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Bagneres du Luchon would be a good choice!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • HIre an e-bike for her.
  • Dabber wrote:
    I'm in a somewhat similar position in the my wife doesn't ride but is supportive in me riding.

Last June we spent a few days in the Pyrenees mainly to let me achieve my ambition of riding the Tourmalet on my 70th.
    We stayed a few nights in Bareges. For the Tourmalet I descended down to Luz Saint Sauveur for the start.
    My wife did some walking from Bareges then took the car and met me at the top of the Tourmalet. She thoroughly enjoyed it.
    The following day I rode Luz Ardiden from Luz Saint Sauveur. My wife stayed in Luz Saint Sauveur and did a nice walk from there and we met up again after I got down from Luz Ardiden. That afternoon we watched the Route du Sud race come through the town. We eat in Luz and had a few drinks there. Our general impression was that it was a nice place, reasonable number of shops, good atmosphere, lots of cyclists and nice buzz.

It worked out so well we're planning to go back again this year. We'll probably stay in Bareges again as we liked the place/people we stayed with but would be happy staying in Luz. My wife is quite keen to do this so that's a positive from my perspective. She'd like to do some more walking whilst I disappear.

All this is only based on us just spending a few days there but thought it might help.

Thanks very much. That was exatly the kind of info I was after. Congrats on the Tourmalet!

I'll look into Bagneres Du Luchon too.

Would love to get her on an E-bike... I womder if theyd be able to get her up a col...?
    Thanks everyone.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,353
    Would love to get her on an E-bike... I womder if theyd be able to get her up a col...?

My concern with that would be getting back down again safely.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Luchon would be my first choice although Luz does give the option of Lourdes for a day out for any non-cyclist - if tourist tat is your thing....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • xacasar
    xacasar Posts: 13
    Argeles Gazost is the best town to be based in the Pyrénées with no doubt, plenty of hotels/accomodations, plenty of climbs around (Tourmalet, Aubisque, Soulor, Hautacam, Luz Ardiden (...)), and few activities to do (Lourdes is not far, you can visit the Zoo...).

Bagneres de Luchon is the second choice, Bagnéres de Bigorre third.

www.bikebasque.com
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Yes Argeles Gazost is pretty unbeatable for cycling, although the town doesn't offer very much IMO. Luchon was better for that side of things, although there are two superb campsites in Argeles with multiple swimming pools etc.

We wrote reports on our recent trips to both places...

https://snookcycling.wordpress.com/pyrenees/
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....