Planet X bike question RT-58 V2, Pro Carbon, RT-80

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Looking at the RT-58 V2 Alloy, The Pro Carbon and RT-80 with sram rival build and put my own campag zondas on.
I like the alloy one because at this price range I feel alloy is a better choice with only a couple of hundred quid splitting them over carbon frame which may be less stiff. I am a 90kg rider so weight could be an issue. Anyone have any opinions on these bikes

Comments

• k3vinjam3s
    k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    Weight is more down to wheels than frame i believe. Ive ridden my carbon at over 100kg fine although not a planet x.

I keep coming back to planet x due to their value but unbiased reviews are hard to find. They seem good value and im keen on their maratona but cant find a review anywhere for it. Maybe look at ribbles offerings. Bit pricier but still good value and seem to be reviewed more so in magazines and online.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    rob39 wrote:
    Looking at the RT-58 V2 Alloy, The Pro Carbon and RT-80 with sram rival build and put my own campag zondas on.
    I like the alloy one because at this price range I feel alloy is a better choice with only a couple of hundred quid splitting them over carbon frame which may be less stiff. I am a 90kg rider so weight could be an issue. Anyone have any opinions on these bikes

Got a Pro Carbon frame about 18 months ago and built it up with 105 5800 and some nice handbuilts from Malcolm at Cycleclinic (Archetype/Miche Primato).

It has been a great bike IMHO. OK so the frame is open mould Taiwanese or Chinese and is maybe a bit long in the tooth design-wise but it does the job for me. External cabling means it is easy to fettle and replace cables. Threaded BSA BB means no creaking problems that beset some press-fit designs and easy maintenance. Also I have been able to fit 28mm tyres (without mudguards btw) to give that extra bit of comfort and smoothness. Tyres in question are Michelin Pro4 Endurance which typically come up slightly larger than the advertised size.

I too tip the scales at the 90kg mark and the Pro Carbon has not missed a beat with my bulk on board.

I'm sure you'll be fine whatever one you choose. Just lobbing in a plug for the Pro Carbon
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Having had both the RT- 80 (aka FM 066) is a much more modern design with the same geometry as a Supersix Evo. Definitely the one to go for - unless you fancy the 100g lighter RT-90/Viner version with a higher modulus carbon?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • flopstocks
    flopstocks Posts: 110
    +1 for the RT80. I have the pro carbon rival version, and the Viner Mitus 0.6

The Viner just feels quicker, think if I was getting a new bike I would go to the RT80 for the current price it looks great.