CAAD12 vs Bowman Palace R

saftlad
saftlad Posts: 49
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Currently got a CAAD8 and find it comfy and fast enough for most of my needs, but I'm now looking for it's replacement. Under consideration is the CAAD12 since I'm happy with the 8, but I also like the look of the Bowman Palace:R (https://bowman-cycles.com/product/palace-r/)

As I'm now the wrong side of 50, and near enough 100kg, I'm not looking for anything that needs me to contort too much. As it is, I don't spend a lot of time on the drops.

Anyone know if these are sufficiently similar that the differences in posture would be minimal? From the official pictures, there looks to be a massive drop on the Bowman which I suspect my back would not thank me for if that is the expected positioning.

Thanks

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I've got a CAAD10 and CAAD12 in 56 and when I looked at the geometry on the bowman it looked similar.
    Sticking with my CAAD's for now though.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Well those are racing bikes, why dont you look for the synapse, if you want to stick on the brand? or other endurance bikes?
  • saftlad
    saftlad Posts: 49
    YiannisM wrote:
    Well those are racing bikes, why dont you look for the synapse, if you want to stick on the brand? or other endurance bikes?

I've got a Genesis Equilibrium for any endurance stuff/audaxes etc. I'm after something a bit more "spritely" :D
  • Well the CAAD has internal cabling, takes 28mm tyres and is lighter.
    The Bowman has a fancier paint job
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • creampie
    creampie Posts: 19
    The Caad 12 is a lovely bike but rather aggressive front end. It does not except 28 tyres I have tried.
    Cant comment on the Bowman but gets positive results on this site ,
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I know its like heresy to new riders, but some of us are quite happy with a max of 25 and use 22/23 in the season.
    Both are race focused , comfort is not part of the contract.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Both because both are lovely.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Caad if I were choosing. ticks all the boxes.

2 clubmates bought bowmans and both have had serious issues with tyre clearance. its supposed to take 25s, but doesn't easily.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    There is a large Bowman on eBay at the moment with full dura ace and quattros for £1,400.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    philbar72 wrote:

2 clubmates bought bowmans and both have had serious issues with tyre clearance. its supposed to take 25s, but doesn't easily.

But t does, yes?

So no problem.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philbar72 wrote:

But t does, yes?

So no problem.

What's a little chainstay rub between friends?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    I prefer nice welds on ally frames so Caads have the edge I think. Maybe that's changed recently
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    The Caad 12 rim version will take 28mm tyres . I have a 2017 caad 12 with Michelin pro 4 endurance 28s on hollowgram wheels and also a set of mavic kyserium pro Sls for it with Schwalbe One 28mm. No issues at all with clearance .
    The continental GP 28mm though measures up at 30/31mm and is problably too big though

Bike feels far more planted and comfortable
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Sounds like you should get a bit that fits you, not being able to spend much time in the drops is a sign that something is wrong somewhere.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    philbar72 wrote:

But t does, yes?

So no problem.

I have no problems running 25 ,s on my palace R