Changing crankset

roof30
roof30 Posts: 58
edited April 2018 in The workshop
My other half lovingly washed my commuter 2008 Specialized Sirrus a few months ago, but put it back in the shed when done. Unfortunately the front crankset is now covered in rust and shifting is becoming difficult (to be honest it needed changing anyway). I've booked it in to my lbs to have a full service, which includes new cables etc.

I want to change the original Sugino XD crankset for an old (but unused) Shimano FC2303 which I have. The only potential issue is that the old chainrings are 48-38-28 and the FC2303 has 52-42-30. I have a Sora long cage 8spd derailleur at the back. Can anyone forsee any issues with a straight swap? Both cranksets are square taper 113mm so there shouldn't be any problems with that.

Thanks in advance.
Ruth
Cannondale Synapse AL 105, Specialized Sirrus Comp

Comments

• 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    Longer chain should do it.

You might get the rust off if you try - take a look online for how to.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    Rust is a superficial thing... just wipe it off with an oily rag
    left the forum March 2023
  • roof30
    roof30 Posts: 58
    Thanks for the advice guys. To be honest it's the original crankset and the teeth are worn on the chainrings so it all needs changing anyway (likely the main reason why it's not shifting properly any longer). I'll get a longer chain and take it in to my lbs so they can set the gearing up correctly.
    Cannondale Synapse AL 105, Specialized Sirrus Comp
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cruddy cables more likely.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools