purchase advice

dhoy42
dhoy42 Posts: 5
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
hi there, i am a noob and have narrowed my 1st bike selection down to 2 options... i live around a lot of fire roads and rural gravel roads and would like to get into riding on long rides to enjoy the beautiful scenery. i know it might seem obvious to get a gravel bike however im getting a good deal on a new fuji sportiff 1.5. would it be feasible to put wider tires on it and bike 30-40 miles with 50% on gravel and the other half on pavement or would the abuse be too much? the gravel bike i was digging on was the raleigh willard 3.... i figured i would get skinnier tires for road missions. any suggestions would be very welcome and thank you for the help!

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The Fuji comes with 28c tyres which are quite wide for a road bike. You'd need to enquire as to the maximum width tyres can be fitted and go from there.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,497
    There are a few articles out there that explore the difference between road bikes and gravel bikes and they seem to highlight a more relaxed geometry, disc brakes and wider tyres.
    The fuji sportif seems to have relaxed geometry and disc brakes and after a quick google it seems that it can take 30 or even 32 width tyres:
    viewtopic.php?t=13043121
    I'd say it looks perfectly feasible.