Latest Dutch road death statistics are alarming.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited April 2018 in Campaign
In the most recently published document on road deaths in the Netherlands for the first time ever more cyclists are killed on the road than car drivers. In 2017 no less than 206 cyclists were killed compared to 201 people in cars. Of the 206 cyclists killed almost 25% were riding E-Bikes, and two thirds of the 206 :shock: were over 65. :shock:
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• Those 2/3 being over 65, what did they die of?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    Those 2/3 being over 65, what did they die of?

From what I read, a lot of accidents happen when getting on and off the ebikes due to the increased weight.

I don't get why these motorised bikes are included in the statistics with bikes.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Those 2/3 being over 65, what did they die of?

From what I read, a lot of accidents happen when getting on and off the ebikes due to the increased weight.

I don't get why these motorised bikes are included in the statistics with bikes.

There are statistics for all road users i,ve only included what i think is relevent. E- Bikes have really exploded onto the market here. I don,t know what the statistics are in the UK.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Stats for the UK are:

Cyclist Casualties, 2016

Killed: Children 8; Adults 94
    Seriously Injured: Children 309; Adults 3088

Not sure of number of drivers in each country but I suspect that there are a magnitude more cyclists in the Netherlands compared to the UK. So deaths per 1000 cyclists I would imaging to be way more in the UK (and sadly F'all is done about it!!)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It’s difficult to compare stats between the two countries. My own experience is that when I was actually on a normal road, it was FAR more dangerous in NL than UK. It’s almost as if Dutch motorists aren’t expecting bikes on roads and don’t know how to deal with them. I had more near misses in a couple of years in NL than the previous 20 years in the UK. The poor young English lass from the Rapha store in AMS was killed on a rural road. E-Bikes were often older folks on tours around rural roads too in groups of 4 or more. Having ridden a few proper Dutch bikes, weight of E-Bikes is a red herring. Besides that, the Dutch are used to loading their bikes up with shopping, several kids, a few dogs etc etc
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I pedaled through The netherlands last week and 25% of bikes seemed to be E-bikes so it not suprising that 25% of road deaths are for users of E-bikes.
    Also have you seen the number of cyclists over there. Also a death could be a heart attack. It does not mean a collision/ Stats are misleading when presented without context.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.