Downgrading from Rival yaw to Force 10

ChILd_ReBoRn
ChILd_ReBoRn Posts: 92
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Not sure if this is the best place to put this topic, but don't know where else to ask.

So I'm trying to complete my groupset (SRAM Force10). I managed to set up everything except the front mech which is Sram Rival 22 (Yaw). I found a cheap force 10 FD (clamp on), but I don't want to throw away my money for a higher end mech which is a possible downgrade from a newer, lower spec FD.

My main concerne is the shifting. Since I'm using Rival Yaw, I don't have any rubbing noises in any gear combo. I'm reading a lot that the standard Sram 10 series have had those problems, but you can use a trim function to fix it. Not sure if my shifter has a trim function, never had to use it, so I didn't notice it.

Second concern is the chain cather, which is brilliantly incorporated in the new 22 series, and I would have to get a new one for the clamp on mech, or just buy a dog fang.

My OCD compells me to get the force mech, but my reason tells me to either buy a force 22 FD ( a bit heftier on my wallet), or to keep the Rival 22. The weight gains are probably marginal, and are of no concerne here.

So.. what are your thoughts on the subject? back to "retro" higher class, or keep the modern "middle" class

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The Rival Yaw is the better derailleur. Force 10 was fine, but what do you hope to achieve by switching from the yaw derailleur? Just having the same model groupset perhaps, but that is no reason to downgrade. I had SRAM Force 10 on my winter bike, but managed to get hold of a cheap Rival 22 groupset taken off of a new bike and switched to that. I even got hold of a cheap Apex Wifli rear derailleur to switch to on the odd occasion I venture somewhere where I might want to use a 32 cassette. No point in wasting money on a Rival or Force Wifli at twice the price.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    If you set it up correctly you may get a little rub but not much. In terms of OCD you'd hate my bike Quarq/Force22 crankset, Red 22 front mech, Rival 22 Rear mech an shifters and Apex brakes.

If your shifter doesn't have trim just get some inline adjusters again I have them on mine an its a great help.

Also the chain catcher is garbage a dog fang is more reliable. I would keep what you have, theres no point downgrading because you want a groupset look just do a mix of what you have now and enjoy it. Plus its cheaper than spending out on another mech.
  • StillGoing
    SRAM Yaw doesn't need the ability to trim as it will angle itself to accept cross chaining. The FD moves slightly out to in from the front when in the big ring.

I'm similar with the winter/turbo bike; SRAM Rival 22 shifters, SRAM Force 22 FD, SRAM Apex Wifli rear and Rotor 3D24 cranks with a Shimano 105 cassette.
  • I know what YAW does. I just like my bike to be complete. :)

I have force brifters, brakes, rear FD. and I was about to buy the cranks.. but decided I'll keep my gossamer
  • StillGoing
    I know what YAW does. I just like my bike to be complete. :)

I have force brifters, brakes, rear FD. and I was about to buy the cranks.. but decided I'll keep my gossamer

Technically, they're not brifters as the brake lever isn't part of the shifting mechanism. So you have a Force FD already according to the above?

The cranks would have been worthwhile if SRAM Red 10 speed or old Exogram as they're lighter than the FSA Gossamer.
  • I have Rival YAW FD.. thinking of changing to force 10, for the sake of the name itself. The cranks were force 10 also, that's why I didn't change them
  • StillGoing
    I have Rival YAW FD.. thinking of changing to force 10, for the sake of the name itself. The cranks were force 10 also, that's why I didn't change them

Your two posts contradict each other then?
  • I meant RD, sorry