Good Mini Pump ?

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
Had to do the walk of shame yesterday - pucture and mini pump wouldn't play ball - it was pissing down with rain so no other cyclists passed - Mrs KR to the rescue though...

So I am after a new reliable mini pump ....any recommendations for a long lasting one ?

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    I carry a lezyne lite drive small in my pocket when out, not cheap but I bought it Feb 2016 and still looks good as new.
    It's been used on a few occasions by me and others I ride with and it's proven to be quite effective considering the small size.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Singleton wrote:
    I carry a lezyne lite drive small in my pocket when out, not cheap but I bought it Feb 2016 and still looks good as new.
    It's been used on a few occasions by me and others I ride with and it's proven to be quite effective considering the small size.
    +1 for Lezyne pumps, I have an HP Drive and it's been great.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lezyne as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yep lezyne.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    ^this
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    +1.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    This has not failed me in 4 years of commutes and rides, has gauge and gets up to 100 psi in a couple of minutes
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... with-gauge
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I got a Birzman velocity apoggee about this time last year. In that time, I've only had to fix a puncture more than half a mile from home/work/destination, and I used it that time. Having a flexible valve is good, but flexible and L-shaped would be better. However, the main problem is that it takes a long time to reach reasonable pressures. I'm not entirely sure I can reach 80 psi with it.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I use the Top Peak Rocket MIni simply because they fit into my seat pack so I don't have to carry it on the frame or in a jersey pocket. Works OK....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Little Lezyne one. But only to get some shape into the tube before I fit it and then blast it with co2.

Who wants to spend 5 minutes pumping away when it's pissing down?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I admit, i am a bit jealous of GrenW's proper cyclist arms.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    GrenW wrote:
    Little Lezyne one. But only to get some shape into the tube before I fit it and then blast it with co2.

Who wants to spend 5 minutes pumping away when it's pissing down?

You do realise that you could just blow into the valve to get a bit of air into the tube and not bother carrying a pump.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mamil314 wrote:

And ayjaycee's tiny pinhead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Any small pump as long as it works.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    ayjaycee wrote:
    You do realise that you could just blow into the valve to get a bit of air into the tube and not bother carrying a pump.
    LOL, my thought exactly.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I too have the cheapest of the Lezyne Mini HP pumps; less aluminium / more plastic. Weighs bugger all but it works pretty well. I particularly like the flexible screw-on hose with the pressure relief button.
    It's permanently attached to the summer bike, virtually hidden by the bottle/cage, so that way I can't forget to take it. It is as others have said, easily fitted in a jersey pocket though.
    Mine rarely goes out in the wet, but I take the precaution of periodically greasing it's screw threads having read an account of corrosion trapping the flexible hose inside the handle.

Winter bike has the larger Topeak Road Morph attached; easier and faster to get up to pressure, which is more important than weight saving when you can't feel your extremities...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Specialized AirTool Mini Road Pump here, have tried a few Leyzene pumps that are very good but just too bulky as need to go on the frame. The AirTool is small enough to fit into a back pocket, doesn't pump as much volume wise but will get a good pressure with time.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Bontrager Air Rush. Excellent mini pump and also CO2 gun.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Leyzene & HP pumps on our bikes - mix of styles - but all with flexitube fittings - I like the Leyzene mini-standpump as you can get a decent pressure with less effort.
    I do carry (when I remember) a CO2 pump - only a cheapy head with screw on bottles - Decathlon do one for £8 (then £3.99 for 3 bottles) - just to use in an emergency - ie I'm in a rush or I'm holding someone up or the pump is knackered/forgotten ...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,421
    This one:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-race-roc ... mini-pump/

It actually works very well. I try to use it about once every couple of months to inflate a tyre as the last pump I had I never used until I actually needed it and the thing had seized solid, so flung it far into the bushes in disgust then felt bad about littering so went and retrieved it making my mood even worse.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I've found the biggest thing is not leaving them attached to the bike, most mini pumps work ok when new but I've been let down by a couple over the years because they seem not to stand up to the elements very well, lezyne included.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • iwobble
    iwobble Posts: 1
    I've found the biggest thing is not leaving them attached to the bike, most mini pumps work ok when new but I've been let down by a couple over the years because they seem not to stand up to the elements very well, lezyne included.
    Mines done about 13000 miles attached to the frame. Still works fine.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    cooldad wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

And ayjaycee's tiny pinhead.

Just to be clear, I only meant to give a bit of shape to the tube before fitting and Co2. That said, I'm surprised that nobody on here has yet laid claim to the ability to actual blow up to 100PSI with mouth alone. We all know how some of them like to exaggerate their abilities!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    iWobble wrote:

Mine worked fine too until they stopped working fine one day.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    iWobble wrote:

Mine worked fine too until they stopped working fine one day.

Fair enough :) they all work till they don't .... :D
  • Mapaputsi
    Mapaputsi Posts: 104

+1

An old topeak one that I mounted on a winter bike a couple of years ago wouldn't pump for me, no idea what happened it but luckily I found out when using it at home one day and not out on the road!