Beginner: New or Second hand?

alo.mtb
alo.mtb Posts: 3
edited April 2018 in MTB beginners
Hello,

Firstly I really would appreciate any advice you can give me.

I wish to get myself an MTB and get familiar with it. I have never had a proper MTB bike so currently I am at a complete standstill with my decision to buy a bike.

One bike has caught my eye in the shop and that is Merida Big Nine 600 (2017 version). The price for it is 975€. Frame would have a lifetime warranty and parts 2 years. To me it looks nice. Please give me your advice regarding this bike.
Link: https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bik ... -6378.html

But I have checked second hand ones as well and for 1200€ there is a carbon frame bike which have been used for XC racing by a female. It has been maintenanced after every race and is 3 years old. I checked it out already and it felt nice as well and didnt see issues with it. Some scratches and so on. It just came from the wash in the place where they maintenance it.
Its kit:
Shifters: XT
Rear shifter: XT (changed last year)
Front shifter: XTR
pedals: XT
Tires: Crossride tubeless
runners : Mavic crossmax SLR 29" (Dont know how to say the part which has the tires on)
Fork : fox float 32 performance.
Facebook pictures regarding the bike

For me I would use the bike as an all purpose transport. Since my work is like 4km away I would use it to get to work as well. But I do want to go on the trails and just enjoy riding and pushing myself further.
And now I can not get it out of my head if I should buy the new one which I know has completely new parts and warranty in case something happens. As a complete beginner I probably am going to fail on trails as well and an aluminum frame would maybe take rougher punishment? And it would leave me some cap space for equipment.
Or to get the second hand which has excellent parts and carbon frame (bike cost around 3500€ when they bought it). But on the other hand I feel like this bike for a complete beginner is a bit too much and a waste to commuting to work and occasional trail riding. And changing parts might get costly?

The more I think about it the less I am sure of my decision...

Please give me your advice regarding the merida bike if it is reliable and durable. And whether I should invest in the second hand bike which has better parts?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links would help. I have no idea what bits a Merida Big Nine 600 (2017 version) has.

Plus without any idea of the 'carbon' bike you're looking at who can say. Shimano have been making XT stuff for many, many years.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • alo.mtb
    alo.mtb Posts: 3
    Hi,

I posted links regarding the bikes. For the carbon one all the information is in my language so it is a bit difficult to translate.
    cooldad wrote:
    Links would help. I have no idea what bits a Merida Big Nine 600 (2017 version) has.

Plus without any idea of the 'carbon' bike you're looking at who can say. Shimano have been making XT stuff for many, many years.