Parts availability and upgrades for a 2010 bike

_John
_John Posts: 3
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech

Comments

• Should be fine. I ride a 2 by 10 26 inch Boardman. Don't feel the need to replace a perfectly good bike just because fashion changes.
  • Sounds like it needs a service and not much else.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Give it a clean, a good check over, fettle as required and ride it. The brakes will probably need bleeding, the forks could do with a lower leg service and the shock an air can service.

Parts are readily available but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I have a 2011 Spesh Stumpjumper FSR with 26” wheels (9mm front and qr rear), 3x10 transmission, straight steerer and 690mm wide bars. All terribly old fashioned and untrendy but I rode the bike for 5 years and my son has been riding it since 2016 and neither of us has died as a result. :)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Check the tyres and inner tubes have not perished, other than that a quick look over and possible service will be all that is needed.

Don't get hung up on 1x gears, wider axles, bigger wheels - they are not really upgrades, just evolution and maybe fashion.

Your bike is perfectly capable so go and ride it.
  • _John
    _John Posts: 3
    edited December 2018
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You will definitely be able to convert to 10-speed and possibly 11, but not 12.

Set the sag on the forks and shock and go for a ride and enjoy it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Easy to go to ten speed (cassette, chain, rear shifter and rear mech, front shifter will be fine, mech will be OK, but a little fussy on setup), eleven speed will need front mech.

You will struggle to get the higher end parts in 9 speed, but trickle down technology means the lower end parts are a grade or two better than they were 8 years ago.

My last bike was a 2005 frame running 1x10.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.