Garmin Virb Elite turns itself off over 60% still showing

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited April 2018 in Workshop
I've had it a couple of years but it's not been over used but recently it's started to turn itself off with well over 50% of the battery indicator still showing. I watched all the YouTube's but its the same thing like , :- "Try running the battery down to zero". I would if it would let me but as I said, it automatically shuts down around with around 60% still showing.

I tried a new Micro SD Card but its the same, if there anything I can try to get it to work ?. I was knocked off my bike a couple of years ago and the camera was a godsend so I'm very reluctant to go out without it fully running

Comments

• Have you tried a master reset? - Charge the battery up fully first though.
    It could also be a failing battery, have you tried a replacement?

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=CRSh4FfdFo7qKq2tJn8Om9&searchType=noProduct&utm_source=faqSearc
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Is the software upto date? Connect camera to PC and open Garmin Express. Is the camera a Virb Elite or Virb X Elite?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    This is how I sorted a similar issue with mine (It happens if I don't use mine for a while).
    Record video until Virb turns off. Put Virb on charge (plugged into wall) for something like 24 hours. Ignore full charge notification. Wait for something like 24 hours before unplugging. Turn on Virb, format card, record video until it turns off. Put on charge for something like 24 hours again. Now the battery levels should be looking sensible and you should be getting the usual amount of recording before it complains of low battery.

I just had to do this with mine after not using it since last Autumn. It took a couple of charge and discharge cycles as described above before it was being sensible.
  • bing gordon
    bing gordon Posts: 662
    Sorry for not getting back sooner,

The SW is up to date, its a Garmin Virb Elite not the X elite,

I have tried factory resetting the device but it's the same,

I tried the charge for 24hrs x2 trick but again, no joy.
    After much searching I dropped on this video so I ordered one for £7:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWTLIYsS2Uk

Other than that it's a new battery and see what happens. On that note, is it best getting a official or are there "just as good" or better one's on the market ?