Cheap Shimano clone disc brake

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,168
edited April 2018 in MTB general
Ineresting, these can be sold under the "Zoom" brand, £ 35 for full set of front and rear Shimano disc brake clones; just curious if anyone has tried them? (amazingly cheap considering a full set of pads can cost circa £ 12)

s-l1600.jpg

see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HB-875-Bicyc ... 33SeNz-v9Q

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A set of pads can be had for £4, £8 fr a full set.....not sure where you are buying!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    edited April 2018
    ^^^^ yes, ofcourse but it depends on the pads model, manufacturer, type etc.

Looking on Chainreaction, a full set of pads will cos anywhere between £6 and £ 80.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They don't actually look anything like Shimano. Just cheap and nasty.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    So they look nothing like this Shimano Deore, despite the body and reservoir being virtually the same, albeit lever adjustment different? :P

Agreed they are cheap but do you know they are nasty, have you tried a pair?

shimano-deore-m6000-disc-brake-lever-208160-1-16-1.jpg
  • cooldad
    Nope, be my guest.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope, be my guest.

So how do you know they are nasty?

I am really curious to know how you come to that conclusion for something you have not used nor even seen in the flesh.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Shimano are hinged clamp, the Zoom are twin bolt, The Deore has a removable cap the Zoom do not, no lever adjustment visible.

Superficially similar I would say.

I'd take the cheap Clarks M2 over those.

As for nasty, most bits I've seen from Zoom are nasty, no reason to suspect any difference here.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Pretty much what he said ^^^^^. Especially if their forks are anything to go by.

And good luck finding pads. If these are anything to go by then nothing like Shimano.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-Brake- ... B01A0B8870

Looking at the pic, they're not.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools