Creaking Aksium Hub/Freehub

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,440
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Hi All,

I've tracked my creak down to rear hub, and I took it apart to clean and lube the freehub this weekend. All went ok, no obvious damaged so cleaned lubed and reassembled, but the creak is still there.

The axle turns smoothly, the freehub spins fine and doesn't catch when freewheeling like other dying freehubs so I'm a bit stumped. Could one of the bearings be on the way out and causing it?

I've tried all the normal things, no spokes rubbing, wheel is straight and QR is tight enough, tried a spare wheel last week for a few days and the creak went so not seatpost, BB was fresh in a couple of weeks ago.

Is it worth sending them in for a service? Or is it not worth spending the cash on them? They're 14 months old and have done 8500 miles.
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• prawny wrote:
    The axle turns smoothly, the freehub spins fine and doesn't catch when freewheeling like other dying freehubs so I'm a bit stumped. Could one of the bearings be on the way out and causing it?

hi,
    if your freehub has bearings in it you might wanna check them out as well, since the first place grit will get into, is the closest to the axle ends.
    assuming your freehub has no play in it, you might just encounter some small/fine dirt particles
    oh, by the way, i am no pro mechanic, but you should check the seals on the bearings, so they do not rotate while your hub is closed.

best of luck