Cyclescheme bike suggestions

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
Have spotted a bike (thanks to the bargains thread) that I'm interested in buying through the work cyclescheme.

Bike is on offer at the minute which takes it under the 1k mark - but should the bike shop not honour the offer and won't allow a top up I'm thinking I need to be on the lookout for alternatives.

Can people offer suggestions for bikes with the following:
Road bike
£1k or less
Hydraulic disc brakes
Mudguard mounts
Prefer shimano groupset, but could be tempted by Sram 1x

Not really fussed if it's Tiagra, 105, Ultegra etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Dinyull wrote:
    Have spotted a bike (thanks to the bargains thread) that I'm interested in buying through the work cyclescheme.

Bike is on offer at the minute which takes it under the 1k mark - but should the bike shop not honour the offer and won't allow a top up I'm thinking I need to be on the lookout for alternatives.

Can people offer suggestions for bikes with the following:
    Road bike
    £1k or less
    Hydraulic disc brakes
    Mudguard mounts
    Prefer shimano groupset, but could be tempted by Sram 1x

Not really fussed if it's Tiagra, 105, Ultegra etc.

Thanks

Bike shops always allow a top up in my experience - it's in their interest as they sell more expensive stuff.

I think you'll be hard pushed to get all of that for sub 1k. If you drop the disc brakes you'll definitely get Tiagra and should be able to find 105. Frankly your best bet is look at Evans, Cycle Surgery websites etc and use the price parameters. Also worth looking at Ribble and Planet X websites which often have great deals.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Yeah, realise it's a bit of a stretch. But like I said, there is a 105 hydro Vitus @ CRC for £850 and often see Cubes with Tiagra/105 hydro knocking about under a grand too.

Hoping peeps could list things they've seen recently.

Already have a couple of bikes, but really after hydraulic brakes and mudguard mounts as it's going to be used mainly for commuting.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    If you're willing to explore Adventure Bikes then you could get the new Boardman ADV 8.9 that would tick all the other boxes for £1,000.

The 40mm tyres are high quality Schwalbe G-One's that wouldn't be much (if at all) slower than narrower road tyres and would allow you to do some off roading if you wished.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,664
    That 105 Hydro Vitus on CRC looks like a real steal! Great spec. I'm sorely tempted myself to get one on C2W scheme.

Whats stopping you?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The Boardman ASR with mudguards and hydro Tiagra is £1050 at the moment with a trade in (central London branch). I was looking at it at lunchtime. Comes with 28mm tyres, I reckon could fit 30s under the guards.

They had the new Sora ADV one in too, but not the Tiagra version. Looked pretty good in the flesh, but I hate in-line cable adjusters in a nest infront of the head tube. Mudguards extra of course.

The cube NuRoad exc looks interesting as a commuter, but press fit and over budget.

Dolan:
    https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-b ... -5800.html

Merlin:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-x30 ... 05088.html

Saracen Hack:
    https://www.freeborn.co.uk/saracen-hack-in-black-2017
  • The Pinnacle Arkose X for £900, or the Arkose 2 for £1k?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    Just picked up a Norco Threshold cross bike from Evans on Cycle to Work scheme. The Apex 1 model has the SRAM Apex 1x drivetrain with hydraulic discs. Reduced from £1,500 to £1,200 just now. If you have any old clunker in the shed, you can trade in for another £100 off.

Nice bike, although slightly heavy at 10kg, but a lot of that is in the stock wheels. If you have better disc wheels already, or would be buying a 2nd set to allow easy road/off road changes you'd get the weight down to 9kg easily, maybe less.