FS for under 2K. Which of these?

High Five
High Five Posts: 7
edited May 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Looking for a FS trail bike for trail centres, mucking around in the woods and a bit of xc.

Have up to £2K to spend but would prefer to spend less if possible. Was going to spend more but decided to reign it in a bit.

Am considering...

https://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b0s377 ... _Plus_2017

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p ... NCE-3-2017

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p ... NCE-2-2017

Could get the Scott for around £1250 from a shop local to me but not sure about the rear shock?

I think I might actually prefer the range of 2X if I can’t get Eagle.

Anyone have an opinion or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Agree with oxoman. Out of the 3 listed the Trance 2 has to be your choice. Better specced than the other two and a generally good bike.

I took my mate's Trance 2 2017 down a couple of the trails at BPW last week and it was great. The 34mm forks are noticeably stiffer than the original 32mm jobbies on my 2016 model and the boost spacing at the rear makes it stiffer as well.
    The one change I would make though is the tyres. Those Schwalbe Performance compound NN's are dire.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    For your riding I’d look at something with a little less travel. You might find it a little more lively and nippy at trail centres and for xc rides. Look at the Marin Hawk Hills. Somewhere between 120 and 140mm.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    2018 Jeffsy, £1900, currently discounted but not for long
  • High Five
    Thanks.

Now also considering the Jeffsey.

What are people’s thoights on the Trance 2 vs the Jeffsey 27/29?

https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/detail ... tegory/509

Will the Jeffsey be a pain to build? I’ve never mail ordered a bike before and I’m no mechanic.

Thanks.
  • JGTR
    It’s pre-built, you’ll just have to attach bars and wheels, full instructions and tools provided. Same with the Giant if you get it posted.
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    I’d go for the giant trance 2 personally. Fox rhythm 34’s are likely to be significantly better than the low rent sektors on the Trance 3 and Scott.

With the discount, I don’t think the Jeffsy has much better spec than the Trance 2 - maybe a bigger range with the E13 cassette but I’ve heard they can creak. Would resolve you concern about 1x that isn’t eagle though.

In terms of travel I think the Jeffsy is longer travel than the Trance and the Spark - might be a bit much for your use. Although I’ve not ridden the Trance or the Jeffsy to fully comment.

I think the spark is more xc orientated - if I were doing general trail riding / mucking about in the woods and a bit of xc (I assume not racing?) I’d want something a little more laid back than the Spark.

My riding is trail centres mostly, with a bit of uplift days / push up a few times a year thrown in. Planning a couple of days in the peaks later this year which will be natural routes with a fair amount of climbing. I’ll be doing it on my 160mm travel at both ends Enduro style bike and it’ll be fine.

I’m not sure what happened to the days where you just bought a bike and used it for everything!
  • JGTR
    I’m not sure what happened to the days where you just bought a bike and used it for everything!

You can, marketing makes you think you can’t. In the last 3 weeks I’ve done 2 days at Afan with 5000ft of climbing, a day at BPW and a 47mile XC ride today, on the same bike, Jeffsy.
  • High Five
    JGTR wrote:

You can, marketing makes you think you can’t. In the last 3 weeks I’ve done 2 days at Afan with 5000ft of climbing, a day at BPW and a 47mile XC ride today, on the same bike, Jeffsy.

Are you on a 29 or 27? How tall are you and what size frame? Thanks.
  • JGTR
    29er, 5’11”, Large frame.