Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Compatable front brakes for 2014 fox float 32

mart321mart321 Posts: 10
edited April 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all. I've just got my 2014 marin mount vision xm8 out of the garage. Due to working away Its been sat unused for around 18 months. The front wheel was completely seized up so I started messing with the front brakes which were avid trail 7s. one of the nuts has now sheared off and the brakes are knackered.

Can anyone recommend some front brakes that will be compatible with my fox float 32 ctd 140mm forks. I'm also a noob when it comes to bike maintenance so do I bite the bullet and take it to my local independent bike retailer or try purchasing and fitting myself?

Oh, the shock doesn't seem to be working aswell it won't lock lock out it just stays the same whatever setting its on.will a shock pump sort this out? Thanks in advance ppl

Posts

  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,904
    Any brakes with the right adaptors.

    You need a shock pump anyway = anything that's been sitting for that long will have lost most of it's air.

    But without details it's hard to help. No idea what shock you are talking about, no idea what mounting (post or IS) your forks have, and no idea which nut you have sheared. Generally it's easy enough to get a nut.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • mart321mart321 Posts: 10
    cooldad wrote:
    Any brakes with the right adaptors.

    You need a shock pump anyway = anything that's been sitting for that long will have lost most of it's air.

    But without details it's hard to help. No idea what shock you are talking about, no idea what mounting (post or IS) your forks have, and no idea which nut you have sheared. Generally it's easy enough to get a nut.
    Thanks for the reply, the shock is a FOX Float Performance CTD, 3-Position Compression and Rebound Damping Adjust, Air Spring Preloaded.


    The mounting post doesn't have a brand name on it but says 20mm and it is slightly shaped as to not touch the brakes. I think it's the same make as the brakes, avid
  • mart321mart321 Posts: 10
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sounds like that mounting post is an adaptor....
    Could be like this (pm to pm with 2 long through bolts)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Front- ... B016MYKLCE
    This (pm to pm with 4 bolts)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod13747
    Or this (IS to pm)
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Avid-Bike-Disc ... 1923095347

    I would think your forks would be PM mount, check this page
    https://www.bike198.com/how-to-install- ... sc-brakes/

    It's this one

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/avid-post-mount ... 8000412542
  • I don't think you can go wrong with a some Shimanos.

    There are I.S to POST mount adapters and Vise Versa so like said any brake can be compatible with the correct adapter.
    I personally like avids, how they perform but can't be asked to bleed them so stick with shimanos for ease of use.

    The only thing you might have to do with fitting new brakes that's a bit of a pain is cutting the hoses to suit your bike but with the correct tools it's a doddle.
  • mart321mart321 Posts: 10
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sounds like that mounting post is an adaptor....
    Could be like this (pm to pm with 2 long through bolts)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Front- ... B016MYKLCE
    This (pm to pm with 4 bolts)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod13747
    Or this (IS to pm)
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Avid-Bike-Disc ... 1923095347

    I would think your forks would be PM mount, check this page
    https://www.bike198.com/how-to-install- ... sc-brakes/

    Thanks for the guide, after looking at that I've now managed to free up the brakes I've reset them and the wheel is now spinning freely. The brakes are not working though nothing happens when I squeeze the brake. The brake is just loose. The bolt that I have sheared is the very small on that goes across the brakes its tiny and had threaded connection and a sort of clip thing on the other side instead of a bolt
  • mart321mart321 Posts: 10
    IMG_20180422_171950.jpg

    You can see where it has sheared off in the middle on the right, does this mean I'm screwed or can I get away with this, it's obviously very tight. But is that going to prevent me using the brakes?
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,747
    That’s just the pad retainer, you don’t need to undo it until you want to change pads, it’s also not a nut but you’ve sheared the head off a bolt.

    The link where you said it’s ‘this one’ offers a choice of two by the way, but from the picture it needs the CPS washers not plain washers under the bolt heads to sit properly.
  • mart321mart321 Posts: 10
    The Rookie wrote:
    That’s just the pad retainer, you don’t need to undo it until you want to change pads, it’s also not a nut but you’ve sheared the head off a bolt.

    The link where you said it’s ‘this one’ offers a choice of two by the way, but from the picture it needs the CPS washers not plain washers under the bolt heads to sit properly.
    It was the one that was more shaped in the link. OK so that was just the pad retainer so I should be OK to get them working again. I'lle sort the washer out, although it does seem to be spinning very nicely at the minute. How can I get the brakes working again now?
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,747
    mart321 wrote:
    How can I get the brakes working again now?
    By fixing whatever is wrong, as you’ve given us no clue then it’s hard to give advice, what are they doing or not doing?
  • mart321mart321 Posts: 10
    The Rookie wrote:
    mart321 wrote:
    How can I get the brakes working again now?
    By fixing whatever is wrong, as you’ve given us no clue then it’s hard to give advice, what are they doing or not doing?

    Haha sorry, and thanks for the advice so far. When I pull the brake levers nothing happens. There is no resistance, it's very loose. Nothing happens with the disks themselves, no movement. I'm trying to faff about with the levers etc but nothing is happening

    IMG_20180422_184653.jpg

    IMG_20180422_184708.jpg

    IMG_20180422_184712.jpg

    IMG_20180422_184737.jpg
  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,623
    mart321 wrote:
    I'm trying to faff about with the levers etc but nothing is happening.

    Faffing about when you don't know what you are doing invariably leads to more trouble.

    You may be able to remove the pad retaining bolt using a pair of needle nose pliers on the inside end of the bolt.

    Looking at that last photo you appear to have loosened the banjo connector and swivelled the brake hose around for some reason. That may have introduced air in to the system/let fluid out.

    If you don't know what you are doing take the bike to your LBS and pay them to sort it out for you. Less hassle for you and may actually be less expensive than faffing about and creating more problems.

    Elixir brakes are great when they are working but a complete PITA when they need bleeding or maintenance.

    By the way, Avid use DOT brake fluid in their brakes. If you have let any out make sure you wash it off the paintwork or it will eat the paint.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

    Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02GF7402GF74 Posts: 1,294
    I think this may be salvageable depending on whether you have the correct tools.
    You should not have touched the banjo bolt aa undoing it may have introduced air into the system.

    You need to bleed the brakes, plenty of information on the Web.

    Re. Pad retainer pin. Use penertating fluid on it but careful not to contaminate the pads, with pliers you may be able to undo the pin, otherwise be able to drill it out, would need to remove from bike to hold in a drill press, would need to use correct size drill. And the clean up the thread with a metric tap.
    Have a search on ebay for replacement calliper, them avids are pretty common.
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,747
    Noting that not only is the Banjo angle (for the hose) very wrong in the lower photo's but its different to your first photo. (the 'Banjo' is on the end of the hose, so called because it has the same shape as the musical instrument) so iether the bolt is loose or was loosened to allow it to turn.

    Massing with brakes without knowing what you are doing is a sure way to stop them working, my LBS call such owners 'F- up fiddlers' in that they fiddle, F- up and then take it to an LBS for a more expensive fix than was originally needed!
  • cobbacobba Posts: 282
    mart321 wrote:
    IMG_20180422_184737.jpg

    Whoever set that brake up has done it incorrectly, those cup washers between the brake caliper and the post mount adapter need to be between the bolt head and the caliper

    This photo shows how it should be setup.
    https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/sites/default/files/images/products/brakes/elixir9_trail_product_100.jpg


    With the incorrectly placed washers, the pads will overhang the outer edge of the rotor by about 5mm, this is a bad setup because there is less pad material on the rotor, the overhanging pads can also lead to brake failure.
  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,623
    cobba wrote:

    Whoever set that brake up has done it incorrectly, those cup washers between the brake caliper and the post mount adapter need to be between the bolt head and the caliper

    Not necessarily. It depends on the caliper, rotor size and adaptor used. Avid used to produce 185mm and 203mm rotors as well as 180mm and 200mm.
    You will see Avid/SRAM brakes with the CPS washer between the bolt head and caliper or between the caliper and fork/mount or with CPS washers both sides of the caliper. Sometimes there is no CPS washer.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

    Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cobbacobba Posts: 282
    JBA wrote:
    Not necessarily. It depends on the caliper, rotor size and adaptor used. Avid used to produce 185mm and 203mm rotors as well as 180mm and 200mm.
    You will see Avid/SRAM brakes with the CPS washer between the bolt head and caliper or between the caliper and fork/mount or with CPS washers both sides of the caliper. Sometimes there is no CPS washer.
    It has been set up incorrectly.

    It's looks to be the stock caliper, adapter and rotor that came on this model bike.
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Marin/Mount-Vision-Carbon-XM8,14088

    If it was the old 185mm adapter which looks the same as a 180mm adapter, the caliper would be out of position even more as the HS1 rotor was never made in a 185mm version.

    The 200/203mm adapters look totally different to a 180/185mm adapters.

    Avid made CPS calipers and Standard calipers.
    CPS calipers required the cup washers beneath and above the caliper
    Standard calipers only use cup washers above the caliper when using the 180mm post adapter, they don't use these washers with any other adapter, the Avid Elixir Trail 7 is a Standard caliper.

    This image shows why these washers are used above the caliper when it's attached to a 180mm post adapter....
    https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb15830280/p4pb15830280.jpg

    If you remove the pads, they'd have a wear pattern like this if they've been used with the setup like that....
    https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb11096046/p4pb11096046.jpg
    .
  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,623
    My apologies, cobba.
    You are correct.

    This video clearly shows the washer arrangement for the 7 Trail front caliper at about the 1.00 minute mark.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

    Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
Sign In or Register to comment.