Short medium or long cage rear mech

denispearl
denispearl Posts: 152
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Hello. Please help to establish which rear mech to purchase. Currently running caad8 2014 with
- front 2 rings FSA omega set 50/34t
- Rear cassette is Shimano cs6600 ultraglide 12-23 . - - Chain Shimano Dura ace ultegra 105.
- Rear mech Shimano tiagra.
Thinking of changing rear mech as could not get shifting right.
Might be something else, but no idea.
Would greatly appreciate any advice.

.Many thanks in advance

Comments

• LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    short cage, I believe up to 28T.
  • gazza1286
    gazza1286 Posts: 45
    Shifting problems with the rear mech is generally down to misalignment. Unless there is any obvious damage to the derailleur it's probably no more than the hanger being slightly out of true.
    You've got a few options.
    Make or buy a hanger alignment tool (most expensive) ;
    Drop the bike off for a full check /diagnostic at your LBS (next most expensive)
    Source a replacement hanger and swap it over. (could be the cheapest but may not solve your problem).

Presumably you have a repair stand? Diagnosis and repair/adjustment of shifting etc can't be done effectively without one.
  • denispearl
    Hello and thanks. Don't have a stand but will try to get a new hanger then. Uff .
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Apart from revealing you have a 10spd cassette you haven't given much information on the rest of the drivechain. Is everything 10 spd? - Tiagra rear mech from that era was 9 spd (but should still work OK with 10 spd shifters and cassette).
    Giving everything a good clean, fitting new cables and checking the hanger would be advisable.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • denispearl
    Thanks. Shifters are also tiagra 10 speeds.fitted new cable recently. No idea what else could cause the issue here. Hmm
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Did your problems start after you fitted the new cable?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • denispearl
    LeeDa wrote:
    short cage, I believe up to 28T.
    Thanks. 100%?
  • denispearl
    cooldad wrote:
    Did your problems start after you fitted the new cable?
    no. Ive actually fitted new cable and replaced the chain for a new one cos had the issues with shifting. Also I believe I've changed the cassette for that reason as well. Thanks
  • denispearl
    Just to add to the facts, the issue with shifting is most noticeable when smaller rings of the cassette (gears) involved. Thanks