The Wrekin/Tiredness

solidsneek
solidsneek Posts: 57
edited May 2018 in MTB general
So a friend invited me to Telford today to go to the Wrekin. Huge inclines and declines respectively.

I was so tired I had to stop 3 times going up and came down half way (tentatively I may add didn't have the bottle to floor it all the way down.) Now I know getting back in to riding and not doing many trails and steep hills before this probably wasn't a great idea but any tips on improving and facing fears is it a case of keep riding?

Going to try the green trail in sandwell valley (west bromwich) Monday and see how I get on.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Just ride more that normally works well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • solidsneek wrote:
    So a friend invited me to Telford today to go to the Wrekin. Huge inclines and declines respectively.

I was so tired I had to stop 3 times going up and came down half way (tentatively I may add didn't have the bottle to floor it all the way down.) Now I know getting back in to riding and not doing many trails and steep hills before this probably wasn't a great idea but any tips on improving and facing fears is it a case of keep riding?

Going to try the green trail in sandwell valley (west bromwich) Monday and see how I get on.
    You need to be fit to get up the Wrekin in a one-er, it's not crazy dificult but you need some strength and your average weekend warrior isn't making it. So I wouldn't use that as any sort of benchmark, most riders would be breathing out their aris on that. I don't know which way you came down but descents to the N and W are properly steep, as well.

So there are easier rides to get back into things! Cannock's prob pretty good for getting your eye in I would have thought - short sharp climbs that you can dig into without running out of gas. Go back to the Wrekin later this year and you might only have to stop twice, then once etc [actually that climb is miles easier once you know it - where you have to throw an effort into the steeper sections and where you can go steady].