Just got a road bike, unable to get my hr up.

Coloradoer
Coloradoer Posts: 4
edited April 2018 in Road beginners
Links are below for my warm up and workout as you can see my hr was only 111 and my peak in 10 min warmup and in 2 min easy 2 mins moderate was only 150 it took me 25 mins to even get my hr to a zone that I can sustain for hours while marathon training Thoughts ? also what is good 30 min and 1 hour wattage and mph? I have been hitting 19-23 mph averages for 30-1 hour long workouts and 180-200 Watts but seems I am limited as I can’t get my hr anywhere near normal to running.

Added info my max hr is around 194 which I’ve clipped in 5k 10k road running races.

Other info: I’m tapering for a marathon and got this bike to cross train.

https://image.ibb.co/giL6xS/78614_D30_E ... 6_F3_D.png

https://image.ibb.co/czotcS/B3_DB11_EB_ ... B80_AD.png

https://image.ibb.co/m9x8Bn/4_DED0389_4 ... EBB0_B.png

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Running HR and cycling HR do not correlate. If you are new to cycling, forget about HR and just enjoy riding.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I used to do triathlons and I can max my HR on the bike but it does take a bit longer than doing it running.

Bottom line is that if you work harder then your heart rate will go up - sorry for stating the obvious.

You say your average speed is 19-23mph, but from the image you shared, it's 15mph. Whatever it may be at the moment, try to increase it. Indoor speeds don't relate directly to outdoor - like treadmill running versus real outside running are not the same thing - so just treat these figures as relative to each other and increase them.

You may also find that using a lower gear and higher cadence will get your heart rate up. Try a cadence of around 90-100 and increase the gears/resistance until you just start to feel that it's hard to hold the cadence - then hold it for 5 minutes - your heart rate should go up just fine.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    What color is the bike ?
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    kinioo wrote:
    What color is the bike ?
  • Singleton wrote:
    I used to do triathlons and I can max my HR on the bike but it does take a bit longer than doing it running.

Bottom line is that if you work harder then your heart rate will go up - sorry for stating the obvious.

You say your average speed is 19-23mph, but from the image you shared, it's 15mph. Whatever it may be at the moment, try to increase it. Indoor speeds don't relate directly to outdoor - like treadmill running versus real outside running are not the same thing - so just treat these figures as relative to each other and increase them.

You may also find that using a lower gear and higher cadence will get your heart rate up. Try a cadence of around 90-100 and increase the gears/resistance until you just start to feel that it's hard to hold the cadence - then hold it for 5 minutes - your heart rate should go up just fine.

I think your looking at the light warm up, the workout is on the other link. I seem to have the same issue outside as well.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You havent yet built up the cycling muscles to let yourself max out. And if you're tapering why are you wanting to max out anyway.

HR is higher with running for the same effort level as you're using more muscle groups too - arms and legs.
  • Fenix wrote:
    You havent yet built up the cycling muscles to let yourself max out. And if you're tapering why are you wanting to max out anyway.

HR is higher with running for the same effort level as you're using more muscle groups too - arms and legs.
    Hey man, I’m not trying to max out I just want to emulate my hr on runs without the impact. On daily runs I can hit 150-165 for an hour to an hour and a half that seems impossible so far on the bike.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Coloradoer wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Hey man, I’m not trying to max out I just want to emulate my hr on runs without the impact. On daily runs I can hit 150-165 for an hour to an hour and a half that seems impossible so far on the bike.

As mentioned previously - you will not be able to duplicate your running HR/effort levels on a bike.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Coloradoer wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Firstly 150-165 for an hour/hour and a half would only happen if you were constantly going up hill.

Secondly, why does having a constantly high heart rate matter so much? As mentioned above just worry about enjoying your rides.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Coloradoer wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Firstly 150-165 for an hour/hour and a half would only happen if you were constantly going up hill.

Secondly, why does having a constantly high heart rate matter so much? As mentioned above just worry about enjoying your rides.

Or TT'ing surely? I can sit in tempo/threshold for a long time which is anywhere between 154 and 192.

He wants to emulate his HR from running but without the impact, makes sense if he still wants the cardio workout without the injury risk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Try cycling up a long steep hill.
    If you don't max out then you are not trying hard enough.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Try cycling up a long steep hill.
    If you don't max out then you are not trying hard enough.

Indeed, I'm usually trying to keep my HR down so I don't blow up!
  • photojim
    photojim Posts: 11
    To be honest - I don't quite understand the graphs you have posted. But as a long time cyclist I can say that if you have only just taken up serious cycling, but are an experienced runner, it is going to take a while before your legs are going to let you push hard enough for long enough to get your HR up to your running level. In an uphill sprint yes, but not on the flat.

In my opinion.

Jim