Cervelo R5 toe overlap

atomixers
atomixers Posts: 15
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
According to sizing up at the LBS I'm somewhere between a 54 and 56 Cervelo R5, with the 54 requiring some spacers and higher saddle height. My current bike is a 55 and has a slightly more endurance based geometry.

Having ridden the 54 for a bit it feels comfortable, but I've noticed that there is a great deal of toe overlap (2 - 2.5cm) compared to my current bike which has just under 1cm. Admittedly I have clown shoes - size 46, and the Cervelo comes with 172.5 cranks instead of 170 on my current bike, and I've only had one real incident so far, but a few clubmates seem to think it's a bit extreme.

The 56 would give me an extra 1.5cm of front centre, so would almost eliminate the toe overlap, but I'm wondering if the increase in size would also affect the fit and handling. Are Cervelo's prone to excessive toe overlap and do you think it's a problem at normal riding speed?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You don't turn the wheel very much at all when riding at any speed. The only issue is if you have to do a u turn or something - and as your current bike has toe overlap then I'm sure you will be aware of it.

So no real reason for it to be a problem.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    atomixers wrote:
    Are Cervelo's prone to excessive toe overlap and do you think it's a problem at normal riding speed?

Just looking at a Tarmac, a 54cm has a front centre of 579 v's 577 on the Cervelo so doesn't sound like there is any particular issue with the R5:

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... -frameset/

Take your time with this as it's a lot of money and you need to be happy with what I guess is a dream purchase (or buy the 54cm, hate it and sell to me for half price :D).

As an aside, are you 100% sure your cleats are in the right place?
  • atomixers
    Thanks for the input both. I may be over-thinking the issue because as you say, it's a lot of money and I want to make sure I get it right.

I'm fairly sure my cleats are ok as I've set them up on 2 pairs of shoes and have no problems with foot soreness or lack of perceived power. I may see some advice from a local bike fitting expert to make sure I'm not inadvertently making the situation worse.

It does seem that anyone apart from those people with size 6/7 feet would be getting overlap on the 54cm R5. Perhaps it's one of those things that you have to accept with a shorter, racier bike geometry.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    Don't worry mate. Us people who ride 50cm frames and smaller have been riding with toe overlap forever.

Sometimes you need to be a bit quick with your feet in heavy traffic, but that's about it.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I'm assuming as it's an R5 you won't be putting mudguards on it.......
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    not enough to care. given where your feet would usually be when turning a wheel, for the times you actually turn the wheel
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • At 5'6" toe overlap is very normal on a compact frame and it's a bit more than a couple of CM. So you won't have an issue when riding. Just need to be conscious when turning around on a tight little lane when you have gone the wrong way.

Also, I thought:
    1. longer seat post = more comfort.
    2. You can make a smaller frame fit you.
    3. Room for spacers means room to have a go at pro-slamming the bike and regretting it when you get the neck and back pain mid-ride.

I speak with some knowledge and much ignorance.
  • Toe overlap isn't the end of the world

Unless you fall off and die, then it is
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    What about looking at the 56cm but using an inline seat post to offset reach if this is the issue, assuming your bike shop or you can do a reasonable fit on any given bike ? Could mean you loose the spacers on the headtube too as taller at the front...
  • atomixers
    Good points all. As a summer best, no, mudguards aren’t going to happen. I’m going to look at cleat position as well in the morning and try out some more low speed manoeuvres. I’d also considered a zero offset seat post and maybe that could solve both the toe overlap and aesthetic spacer issue I have.