Saddlebag recommendations

lettingthedaysgoby
lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
I've been using a small Topeak aerowedge for the last 18 months but its looking fairly tatty so I fancy something new.

Needs to hold 2 tubes, small multitool and a quick link, so nothing huge - there's a bit of spare room in the aero wedge and that's only the small sized one.

I quite like the look of the Ortleib Micro, anyone here use one? Or any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance etc

Comments

• Lizardskins Cache should take what you want without being too intrusive (as long as you get the black one). It is well made from quality materials so worth paying the extra over more basic offerings.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Missus uses an Arundel duo and gets that in plus co2 and inflator. Good quality product, well made and looking as good as new after 2 years

Lezyne road caddy for me but will struggle to get that second tube in. I get one tube plus tools, co2, inflator, levers, links
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I have a road caddy too but agree that it probably won't take 2 tubes.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    A friend just got one of these from PX - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPODSSB/p ... -with-tray

It's a good size, and I think the tray design is pretty clever - lot easier to get your bits and pieces out on the road without the usual issues.

I'll probably be picking one up next time I do a PX order.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I have an ortlieb micro which clips into my saddle (ICS?). Mine holds a single tube, multi tool, patches, quick link. There would be room for co2 & inflator I suppose, but not much else. You might be better at folding tubes into a small space than I am though! Actually it's a roll-up closure, so you might just squeeze 2 tubes in, but you wouldn't get anything else in. If on a longer ride, I just put an additional tube/s in a rear pocket.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Leyzene caddy, comes in two sizes. I use the smaller size but also have the larger size in stock and would easily fit a couple of tubes in it.

Lezyne-Pod-Caddy-Saddle-Bag_78060_1_Supersize.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • A few to look at there, cheers all :)
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Ive just ordered a Btwin 400 saddle bag Velcro strap fitting and looks well made. I prefer the Velcro wrap strap type bags as they are more reliable and less faff than the plastic rail clip on types. Have used Scicon Elans in the past got thru 3 as they don't last long. The Elans have got more expensive though hence the Btwin bag order, only £6.99. I always use an extra Velcro strap for security had no probs never losing bag this way, even secure at Paris Roubaix rides in the past.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    For smaller rides, Silca Seat Roll. For long sportives the new Silca Seat Capsule.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • For smaller rides, Silca Seat Roll. For long sportives the new Silca Seat Capsule.
    Wow, not cheap. But that pod looks rather cool.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I’ve just got the Silca Capsule. Really well made and can take 2x tubes, 2x co2 canisters, co2 valve, multi tool and couple of other small items.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I swapped from the small Topeak wedge to one of these https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tool-storag ... 24324.html. In it I have tube, tyre levers, co2, couple of small multitools and a lock.
    It works well - it’s waterproof, lighter than a bag and swaps from bike to bike.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If you want to go minimalist and stylish try one of these https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/luggage/cycling-bags-and-cases/seat-bag-seat-wedge/product/cyckit-aeroclam-saddlebag-49272/

Pat has recently introduced a slightly larger bottom section for those that want more storage space. I’ve got both but stick with the smaller one on both bikes as it stops me carrying more kit than I need!

PP
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Mr_Mojo wrote:
    I’ve just got the Silca Capsule. Really well made and can take 2x tubes, 2x co2 canisters, co2 valve, multi tool and couple of other small items.

Is it easy/quick to swap between bikes?
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    I bought the castelli XL bag the other week. Was on offer at £15 at the time , not sure if it still is.
    Great looking little bag that tucks nicely under the seat. Will hold 2 tubes/2 canisters/inflator/mulitool.

Small issue with the velcro strap at the front being a little too long and the excess rubbing on my inside thigh, but snipped it and no problems since.