Suspension seatposts

shewy
shewy Posts: 62
edited May 2018 in Road beginners
Whats the feeling on suspension seatposts? My local roads are absolutely riddled with potholes at the minute and looking to smooth things over a bit, other than a gravel bike has anyone done this? Already switched to 28's

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Well, they're heavy and they are hard to set the height on correctly, but if you want something to smooth out bumps on the backside then they certainly do the job.

You're talking about the sprung ones right?

Most people just stand in the pedals with their legs bent when they hit a bump they can't avoid, and cushion the impact that way.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    shewy wrote:
    Whats the feeling on suspension seatposts? s

I suppose it depends on the damping rates and damping materials the manufacturer has decided on.

Any particulate models you were thinking of?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    shewy wrote:
    Already switched to 28's

at what pressure?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All suspension seatposts are sh1t. As are flexistems.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    shewy wrote:

How much weight and how many Franklins?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shewy
    100psi cause I'm fat lol
    And not sure of the weight $139
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    you don't really want to ride through potholes on a road bike. Suspension isn't going to make it (much) better.
    If it's only short sections then you can get out the saddle - but I appreciate that some bits of road are so bad you may as well go off road for a smoother ride. You're already on 28s - drop that pressure by 10psi if you can - but still don't go over the potholes.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    As above. Riding through potholes isn't good. And don't sit in the saddle like a sack of potatoes. Stand on the pedals and absorb bumps through the legs.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    28s at 100 psi sound like they'd give a pretty unforgiving ride. Have you tried lower pressures?

What bike? What's your weight?
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Totally unnecessary on a road bike, anything where the seat will help will have already wrecked the wheel anyway, just avoid the holes.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    cooldad wrote:
    All suspension seatposts are sh1t. As are flexistems.

Yep. Had one on an old hardtail mtb and it was pointless. That said the split seatpost on my roadbike certainly helps with vibrations as did the D shaped one on my old Defy

To be honest if my local roads were riddled with potholes, my arse would be the last of my worries. At least fatter tyres may protect you AND the bike.
  • photojim
    photojim Posts: 11
    We have a Cane Creek one on the back of our tandem and it certainly saves my wife from a lot of unexpected pain.....

Not sure I would have one on my solo though. As others have said - if the roads are that bad I think a different wheel/tyre setup would be the answer.

Jim
  • My Cube currently has Conti Grand Sport Race 700x28s on them, that measure ~31mm.

I'm ~77Kg; Cube ~9Kg; cycling kit including shoes ~2Kg; two 750ml water bottles close to full ~1.6Kg (so basically ~90Kg all-in).

My Cube has endurance geometry with a high front end, but lets go with the common estimate of 40% of the load over the front wheel.

The FFT pressure spreadsheet suggests ~52/78PSI for front/rear respectively for "mixed road" quality and 46/70PSI for "rough road."

From memory, I don't recall ever going lower than 60/80PSI to date, more typical is ~65/85PSI... But when I cover some of the poorer quality lanes around the Warnford area cat4s, I do wonder whether I should be less cautious about running lower pressures for more comfort.
    I guess it's the fear of snakebite punctures, from when I was typically ~85-95Kg until the last year or so.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • My Cube currently has Conti Grand Sport Race 700x28s on them, that measure ~31mm.

I'm ~77Kg; Cube ~9Kg; cycling kit including shoes ~2Kg; two 750ml water bottles close to full ~1.6Kg (so basically ~90Kg all-in).

My Cube has endurance geometry with a high front end, but lets go with the common estimate of 40% of the load over the front wheel.

The FFT pressure spreadsheet suggests ~52/78PSI for front/rear respectively for "mixed road" quality and 46/70PSI for "rough road."

From memory, I don't recall ever going lower than 60/80PSI to date, more typical is ~65/85PSI... But when I cover some of the poorer quality lanes around the Warnford area cat4s, I do wonder whether I should be less cautious about running lower pressures for more comfort.
    I guess it's the fear of snakebite punctures, from when I was typically ~85-95Kg until the last year or so.
    I’m half a stone heavier than you and run 75 front and rear on the same bike. No pinch punctures so far...
  • shewy
    Prob 100kg all in Merida Ride 500 with ultegra, 28's biggest I can fit.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I think the fear of pinch punctures is somewhat overplayed.

If you hit a pothole hard enough then you'll get a snakebite whatever pressure you're running.

Key thing is to avoid hitting them, and if you can't, then as mentioned above stand in the pedals and absorb it with your knees.
  • perfectmark
    perfectmark Posts: 117
    I have run 30psi on my 28mm GP4000s before without issue. Lovely smooth ride, although notably slower than at their recommended psi. So I generally run them around 80psi these days.

Does your bike have disc brakes? If so, you could see if you get fit some 650 wheels and larger/stronger tyres.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Man up FFS! :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D