Cannondale Cyclocross CAADX - would 25mm tyres fit on hub?

andrew_mac
andrew_mac Posts: 5
edited April 2018 in Road general
I bought a CAAdX Tiagra last year when I got into cycling on basis I would use roads and some gravel paths. As things have transpired I now almost entirely use it on road now so looking for a slicker slimmer tyres.

The stock tires that came with the bike were 35mm Sxhwalbe Rapid Robs. Could the rim take a 25mm tyre or am I better going for 28. Looking at Bontager AW2 hard case but open to other ideas of more suitable tyre within simple price range.

Not a technical expert hence coming for advice here.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    General rule is not to run a tyre narrower than the external width of the rim as there's a risk that you'll 'rail' on the rim riding around a tight corner, or it'll get caught on protruding objects. Plenty of good tyres available in 28-30mm these days, just as quick IME, bigger volume handles pinch punctures better too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I have a CAADX and switched to 28’s, and they are absolutely spot on. Don’t bother experimenting with 25’s.
  • Thanks guys - gone for set of 28s after getting same advice from a good friend. Opted for set of Conti Grand Prix 4000s.