Broken gear adjustment on down tube help!

Hurricane Warrior
Hurricane Warrior Posts: 147
edited April 2018 in Workshop
I’m sure this has happened many times! while servicing the bike I unfortunately broke the gear adjustment running down the down tube part of the frame, leaving part of it in the frame! (Sorry don’t know the correct terms).
I’m going to try and get it out by drilling if I’m able or any means necessary, I did wonder if I’m unable to get it out cleanly so to speak, would it be possible to put a new one in just to hold the cable in place if that makes any sense, any ideas or help would be appreciated, it’s a steel frame! Thks uploaded image now.

RA0423
Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
Boardman Race 2013
Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
Boardman Comp MTB 2016

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope and it tells you how to post pics in the FAQs. Basically upload to a hosting site and paste the URL between img tags.

Assume you mean cable stops but hard to be sure.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I’m sure this has happened many times! while servicing the bike I unfortunately broke the gear adjustment running down the down tube part of the frame, leaving part of it in the frame! (Sorry don’t know the correct terms).
    I’m going to try and get it out by drilling if I’m able or any means necessary, I did wonder if I’m unable to get it out cleanly so to speak, would it be possible to put a new one in just to hold the cable in place if that makes any sense, any ideas or help would be appreciated, it’s a steel frame!

I was going to post an image which I can’t seem to do currently.

Yes they are easily replaced if it’s the screw on type that attach to a lug on the frame. Assuming you mean the cable stop with the integral barrel adjuster usually found on the down tube close to the head tube.
  • Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
    Boardman Race 2013
    Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    rather than drilling, you should be able to get a screw extractor into that

if it broke due to being stuck, first apply some plusgas/other penetrating oil and let it seep in for a while

you can get replacement adjuster to screw in, lbs probably will have some in the workshop
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    sungod wrote:
    rather than drilling, you should be able to get a screw extractor into that

if it broke due to being stuck, first apply some plusgas/other penetrating oil and let it seep in for a while

you can get replacement adjuster to screw in, lbs probably will have some in the workshop