Packing stuff for a ride

solidsneek
solidsneek Posts: 57
edited April 2018 in MTB beginners
What do you guys normally take on a ride?

tools, food, specifics really.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the ride.

Local pootle, a water bottle, maybe.

Day in the lake District, a lot more, Camelbak, water, some food, decent multitool, pump, some tubeless worms and a tube just in case. First aid kit, emergency blanket depending on the weather.

Normal Surrey Hills type ride, most of the same. Small lights in winter - nothing like riding home in the dark on single lanes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    It depends on the ride. If I know it’s a long hard one, then I’ll take things I wouldn’t on a short one. I have a core of things I take, consisting of ; tubes, pump, gas inflator, bottle of drink, multi tool, patch kit, chain tool, and a quick link. On a long hard one, I might include some food, a spoke, a rear hanger, and a cuddly toy.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    As above, it depends on the length/location of the ride.

A poodle along the canal - nothing except a water bottle. I rely on tubeless doing its stuff if I get a puncture.

Longer wild ride, trail centre or bike park - hydration pack with spare tube, patches, pump, shock pump, couple of quick links, decent multitool, a few zip ties, small first aid kit and emergency blanket, snacks.

I always take my phone when I go out on the bike. You never know when you might need to call for assistance or a pick up.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    You'll figure out what you need with experience.

The only mandatory stuff I take now is spare tube, puncture kit, 3xC02 canisters and levers. They just live permenantly in my saddle bag so I don't need to think about it.

I take more stuff depending in distance or how isolated the ride is.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    mattyfez wrote:
    You'll figure out what you need with experience.

The only mandatory stuff I take now is spare tube, puncture kit, 3xC02 canisters and levers. They just live permenantly in my saddle bag so I don't need to think about it.

I take more stuff depending in distance or how isolated the ride is.

What he says!

...I think I have enough tools/parts etc. to be self sufficient and get my bike fixed at least to ride-able state ;)
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Pump, pliers (mainly to remove valves in case I need to fit a tube), multi-tool, quick link, tyre levers, money, water, phone.

If I’m going on a big ride eg Wales I’ll pack some cable ties, a wrap of gaffer tape (useful to patch up holes in tyres before fitting a tube), spare mech hanger, rag (useful for cleaning inside of tyre/hands
    after a mechanical) & food.
  • It depends on the ride. If I know it’s a long hard one, then I’ll take things I wouldn’t on a short one. I have a core of things I take, consisting of ; tubes, pump, gas inflator, bottle of drink, multi tool, patch kit, chain tool, and a quick link. On a long hard one, I might include some food, a spoke, a rear hanger, and a cuddly toy.

I agree, If I only have a short ride then I'll probably just grab my water battle and a little snack :D
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    edited April 2018
    After many years of refinement, the contents of my kit. I take it on every ride along with a bottle of water. For longer rides I would take hydration pack, food, phone, Satmap, maps, waterproof jacket etc.
    You'll recognise most of it but in addition
    - hacksaw blade for sawing and sharpened for slicing
    - piece of plastic milk bottle for fixing tyre cuts
    - cable ties
    - narrow strip of inner tyre for misc tying purposes

.... and although the Blackburn multi tool has allen keys, they are of lower quality than individual ones that I take in order to lessen risk of rounding bolts.
    Only thing missing is flat bladed screwdriver for mech adjustment but the Blackburn tool has one which may or may not fit.

<updated as photobucket won't show photos anymore and I ain't paying no ransom>
    toolkit.jpg

The plastic case was a Halfords puncture kit box that I need to replace.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Well ,also based on my recent experience...

Last week I went out for a ride with my friends (local light off road nothing serious) I hadn't ridden with before.
    They turned up on their 'MTBikes'... I didn't see any backpacks, no saddle bags no tools in the bottle cage etc....I thought Ok, time will tell...

After few miles I was asked few times what I have in my backpack or why I need my backpack when riding etc. ??
    I explained, I have my rain jacket there and few tools/spares to get my bike rolling in case of 'something unusual' happens.

Literally another few miles later bang - first puncture - and here they go: 'does anybody have a spare tube, repair kit or a pump ??!!! You know my expression, don't you ??!!

Obviously I have all of this 'stuff' on me, but just wanted to see how they're going to deal with it. I said, I have a puncture kit and a pump...but you need to remove the inner tube - and it starts again: Does anybody have a tyre lever ??
    Obviously I do have that 'stuff' as well....

OK, they (I) managed to get it fixed and I let them to pump it up with my pump....They were useless with it, so I decided to use CO2 cartridge...it was getting dark you know.

Just an example.

C.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Yeh people who don't carry a basic kit to deal with a puncture are just selfish or dumb really, I don't mind helping out if I can, a long walk with a tyre flapping about is no fun but some people just don't help themselves.

Forgot to mention, I also keep a quick link, or whatever the kmc version is called in my saddle bag, I had a spare one and they are so small, may as well chuck it in.
  • 02gf74
    Yes, quick link in there in the plastic bag along with Presta valve cap and valve stem lock ring.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    I like to ride fairly light.

Round the local woods (always within walking distance of home if everything goes horrible)...

Fabric Keg on the bike containing two CO2 canisters and valve, quick link, tyre repair kit, Topeak Rocket Ratchet and chain breaker, zip ties, tyre lever, knife).
    Inner tube strapped under the saddle.
    Phone and camera in pockets.
    Don't usually want/need a drink on these ride, so no backpack.

Longer rides, or where I can't walk in if something bad happens...

As above plus a USWE Airborne 3 for water, snacks, small waterproof and a mini pump.
  • 02gf74
    I agree, If I only have a short ride then I'll probably just grab my water battle and a little snack :D

I always take kit, then I have have the option to repair, if less than a mile or it is cold then it is more of a faff than a walk back.