Coast to Coast - which shoes are best?

Timsta
Timsta Posts: 4
edited April 2018 in MTB buying advice
Planning on doing Tim Woodcock's Coast to Coast in May next year and would like some advice on what footwear to wear/buy particularly for the Lake District part. I am currently wearing Specialized 2FO flat pedal shoe and don't want to go back to clipping in.

Should I go, light weight walking boot or trek running boot or an alternative boot?

Cheers
Timsta

Comments

• Whatever ones are comfiest and dry out quickly. Have done a couple of stages (not the whole thing - that was brutal enough.)
    Lots of lugging the bike and picking your way through peat bogs.
    I had a pair of old Shimano AM40s - comfortable on and off the bike and the vibram soles were grippy on rocks too. At first, I didn't even think about my feet - I was too busy worrying about my screaming thighs and wheezing chest.
    Unfortunately I forgot that they soak water like a sponge and take 24 hours to dry out. They doubled in weight over the course of 2 hours.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Timsta
    Timsta Posts: 4
    Whatever ones are comfiest and dry out quickly. Have done a couple of stages (not the whole thing - that was brutal enough.)
    Lots of lugging the bike and picking your way through peat bogs.
    I had a pair of old Shimano AM40s - comfortable on and off the bike and the vibram soles were grippy on rocks too. At first, I didn't even think about my feet - I was too busy worrying about my screaming thighs and wheezing chest.
    Unfortunately I forgot that they soak water like a sponge and take 24 hours to dry out. They doubled in weight over the course of 2 hours.

I dint think about them drying out quickly! Thank you! I may think about some fell running shoes/boot like these:
    https://www.inov-8.com/catalog/product/ ... tegory/77/

Just not sure if they will be too flexible in the sole.

I may be being a bit soft, but I feel I may need a bit of ankle support for scrambling part of the lakes part.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    When I'm bikepacking and know I will be doing some Hike-A-Bike I use Under Armour Newell Ridge hiking boot.
    I've had no issues pedalling in them, comfortable enough and saves carrying an extra pair of trainers when going the pub.
    I do take a pair of Seal Skins socks or two depending on how wet it is. Trainers or boots will be wet the next day so the seal skinz waterproof socks keep the feet warm/dry.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Timsta wrote:
    Planning on doing Tim Woodcock's Coast to Coast in May next year and would like some advice on what footwear to wear/buy particularly for the Lake District part. I am currently wearing Specialized 2FO flat pedal shoe and don't want to go back to clipping in.

Should I go, light weight walking boot or trek running boot or an alternative boot?

Cheers
    Timsta

I do ride flat pedals.

I have been using my Karrimor shoes on 99% of my rides (local, weekend trips, touring - unless its very hot and dry...)

Something like this: https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-h ... e=18371469

I did use them on my both C2C (England and Wales) trips - no probs.

As there was quite few hike-a-bike sections they work really well for me.

But I would recommend investing in some waterproof socks (next day when you shoes are wet put fresh waterproof socks on and you're good to go).