Selcof Disc Wheel

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
After a disc for TTs and don't want to spend a fortune at the moment. I've seen this disc on PX website, it seems a bit heavy but seeing as most TTs by me are flat this may not be too much of an issue, anyone got one and if so what do you think of it?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Post a link? Most people can't be arsed to google it, especially in order to give you advice.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just get a disc cover then ? A lot cheaper and 99% as aero as a disc wheel.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Fenix wrote:
    Just get a disc cover then ? A lot cheaper and 99% as aero as a disc wheel.

...and it'll keep your spokes clean and dry!

http://www.raltech.co.uk/Prod_3-Wh-Cov.html
  • JesseD
    This is the link to the wheel:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WRSECRDW/ ... disc-wheel.

The covers seem a bit of a faff especially if you use the same rear wheel for road racing as well, plus I can imagine they would scratch the finish on the rim of the wheel as well after a while?

Thanks
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    It’ll be made at the same factory and the same bloke who does the PX branded wheels that are really good value.

Worth a punt if you ask me.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    58585 Posts: 207
    Think you’ll struggle to get hold of raltech or other covers.
    The selcof is the planet-x disc, px owns the selcof brand. I had one in clincher and it was a bit flexy, and didn’t scream quality but was a good buy at 300 quid on offer. I’d look at tt forum for a used zipp to be honest, they seem to go for around 500 quid and are robust and fit most frames.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Worth checking if it is a genuine monocoque disc, or a 3/5 spoke with a fairing...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    JesseD wrote:
    This is the link to the wheel:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WRSECRDW/ ... disc-wheel.

The covers seem a bit of a faff especially if you use the same rear wheel for road racing as well, plus I can imagine they would scratch the finish on the rim of the wheel as well after a while?

Thanks

To sav £475 I'm happy with my cover - but the wheel is a dedicated Triathlon/Turbo wheel now. Don't think they've scratched the rim that I've noticed. If I was swapping around I'd probably just buy a new wheel for road racing.
  • JesseD
    Fenix wrote:
    To sav £475 I'm happy with my cover - but the wheel is a dedicated Triathlon/Turbo wheel now. Don't think they've scratched the rim that I've noticed. If I was swapping around I'd probably just buy a new wheel for road racing.

Good idea, but I think by the time I have bought a new wheel to attach the cover to which is sufficiently light and strong, then bought a cover I would be approaching the cost of the selcof disc. Living in the channel islands we dont pay VAT so at the moment the disc is just under £400 for me delivered. I'd probably be looking at £200+ for a rear wheel plus £180 for the covers which is the cost of a disc.

I wouldn't want to use my rear wheel I use for racing as its a 65mm deep section carbon DT Swiss one