road bike for extra-long distance commuting

stefano
stefano Posts: 254
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello,
I need a new road bike for extra-long distance commuting 40 miles each way (80 miles return) three times a week.
I would ride on any weather conditions and will involve some small areas of not so smooth pavement. It would be mostly flat, but wind will be an issue some times.
I am thinking of road bike that can take full mudguards and 700 x 25-28 tyres…that is fast but is also comfortable.
My budget is up to £3,000, any recommendations?
Any advice from extra-long distance commuters would be welcome!
Many thanks

PS: At the moment I commute 15 miles each way every day in London with a custom made track bike a fixed Dolan Seta carbon on which I have fixed full mudguards…

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Oof thats some commute !

This has rack and mudguard mounts and hydraulic discs - but its only 1x11.

Big clearances so it should take chunky road tyres ok.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/c ... 5cm-frames
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited April 2018
    I just ride my Boardman Pro Carbon but I can see the argument for something more suitable.

For £3K I think I might like a steel bike with discs, 28mm tyres, di2 and full guards.

Lovely commute distance. I am 55 each way so only do it once each way per week.

Check out Fairlight Strael 2.0 @ £3,400 for the Ui2 build. Maybe cheaper if you go for 6870 instead of 8070
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I regularly commute 40miles each way to work and just use my training bike (specialized allez).
    Must admit the only thing i would look for if i were to change this is a bike which could take full mudguards.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    With that budget I'd be going for a titanium frame and hydraulic disc brakes such as the Sabbath September.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I only do 15 miles each way and you know how to do that, I mostly use an Allez I've refurbed with new wheels and groupset. Once in a while I do 30 miles each way but I pick and choose when to do it and tend to use my lightest bike because there's some climbing and I don't need mudguards and luggage.

I met a guy on a club ride who turned up on one of these:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-roadmac ... e-EV302703

OK so it's £8k but my thought was to try and build something similarish by next winter on a lower budget as an all weather commuting masterpiece. I'm quite interested in this frame: viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13081156
    Seems it might be similar to a PX Spacechicken.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    MugenSi wrote:
    With that budget I'd be going for a titanium frame and hydraulic disc brakes such as the Sabbath September.

Me too. I have a 'steel budget', but would definitely have Titanium if I had the budget.

http://road.cc/content/feature/213004-t ... eve-ridden

Some of these well over budget, but a few frames come in around the £1000-£1500 range, which I guess is what you'd be looking at before building it up.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I use my Triban 560 for this type of ride.
    Anything light and not that expensive would be my advice.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    https://www.btwin.com/en/road-bikes/spo ... -disc.html

This is a hell of a lot of bike for the money, and would do the job nicely.
  • I do a 45 miles (ish) each way commute once a week in the summer. I use my Condor Fratello - steel framed, full mudguards, rack mounts for a pannier, space for 28mm tyres, ...

Even with decent groupset and wheels, that comes in well under your £3k budget.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Have a look at the Van Nicholas Yukon or Amazon which can be found on the Fat Birds don't Fly website.

I do a similar commute 4 or 5 days a week on the Yukon which is a great all rounder and still looks like new after years of use!!
  • williamac
    williamac Posts: 71
    In addition to Van Nic's have a look at Kinesis, either the Tripster or the Granfondo Ti (Rim or Disc). they get very good reviews (road cc love them :-)). I have the GF Ti v2 (Rim Brake model) which I built up for less than £3k (Zonda Wheels, NOS Athena - Ultratorque, Velo Orange Grand Cru Deep Drop brakes, 28mm GP4000). Currently in Summer mode but have had Rack, Guards etc and done touring in past on this. Very close to a "One Bike" that does it all and more than holds it own on our fast Sunday rides. Very comfy over long distances.
  • Get along to Rourke cycles and get one built to fit .
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Any bike that fits and rolls well. If it fits youl be happy regardless of how much you spend.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • I do a 45 miles (ish) each way commute once a week in the summer. I use my Condor Fratello - steel framed, full mudguards, rack mounts for a pannier, space for 28mm tyres, ...

Even with decent groupset and wheels, that comes in well under your £3k budget.

What I was thinking....
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    kingdav wrote:
    I only do 15 miles each way and you know how to do that, I mostly use an Allez I've refurbed with new wheels and groupset. Once in a while I do 30 miles each way but I pick and choose when to do it and tend to use my lightest bike because there's some climbing and I don't need mudguards and luggage.

I met a guy on a club ride who turned up on one of these:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-roadmac ... e-EV302703

OK so it's £8k but my thought was to try and build something similarish by next winter on a lower budget as an all weather commuting masterpiece. I'm quite interested in this frame: viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13081156
    Seems it might be similar to a PX Spacechicken.

Be warned the roadmachine takes bmc only guards - at £150+ a pop when I went to buy one (no thanks). I'm guessing you could bodge something cheaper if you're good at that though?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    if you are used to a track bike why not continue on a fixed gear eg Condor Tempo (single speed version of a Fratello). I would be thinking of something in steel or preferably Ti with 1 x 11 a set of reliable hand built wheels (HSon or Mavic Open Pro) from eg Malcolm at The Cycle Clinic. Discs for all weather stopping, no front changer. You need reliability and comfort. Wide mudguards with proper mounts.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    In your position I would consider something like a Kinesis Tripster or GF Ti Disc frame.

Build it up with 105 or Ultegra Hydro, some handbuilt wheels with reliable and easily serviceable hubs. Full mudguards. 28 to 30mm tyres.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Get a Dolan Dual like mine... takes guards and 25 mm tyres or 28-30 mm tyres with no guards. It's a great geometry to spend a lot of time on the saddle

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13079688&start=60
    left the forum March 2023