Nice routes between NW London and Surrey

W12_Lad
W12_Lad Posts: 184
edited April 2018 in Road general
On Thursday, I'm cycling from NW London to Redhill and back.

Before I start plotting, does anyone have any good routes they are prepared to share or advice.

I'm not on a tight schedule so not worried about distance or hills. Just some nice cycling without getting killed.

I'm used to heading out to the Chilterns and the plan is to head that way first and then head South which I've not done before.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    Chilterns is nice as far south as Marlow or Henley, Bit of a muddle then, aim to get south of Aldershot / Guildford and then turn east, lots of nice roads through the Surrey Hills. Be a fair way though.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    If timing really isn't an issue - how about going super early and just riding straight through town? I appreciate there'll be traffic lights etc but feels like it's much easier to navigate - and shorter - than skirting London.
  • ricky_h-2
    ricky_h-2 Posts: 119
    Assuming your handle is your postcode, I'd head down to Hammersmith bridge, Barnes, Richmond park, Kingston, round the back of Sandown, Cobham, out on Plough lane, Effingham, Ranmore common, westhumble, box hill, right at Headley, through Betchworth and then on to Reigate Heath (to avoid as much of the A25 as possible).
    You could add in more climbs etc by detouring to include Shere/Peaslake/Forest green/Leith hill.
    On the way back, I'd pretty much just reverse it but you could go to Headley, Epsom, Worcester park and in via Wimbledon common, Putney as an alternative
  • Don't stop in Redhill - it's a complete dump.
    Go to Reigate instead and have coffee & cake in Maison Du Velo on Lesbourne Road
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    Thanks all. Food for thought.

Ricky h - W12 is a football reference but I'm not far from there, NW9.
    Option Click - Lunch is at my friend's house in Redhill.