New cassette options

cblake843
cblake843 Posts: 27
edited April 2018 in Workshop
I'm going to replace my chain and cassette which will hopefully fix a grinding sound.

I currently have :-
Shimano kassette CS6800 Ultegra 11fach 11-28 and 11 speed chain hg701 .

What are my options for a new set ? Any recommendations ? Do I have to stick to 11-28 or go for 11-24 , what are the drivers here for selecting ?

Comments

• You can have whatever gearing you want pretty much but will depend upon type of riding you do and how hilly. Personally I'll never have less than 11-28 but entirely up to individual.
  • cblake843
    Thanks, so their is no depedancy on the crankset then ? I have a 105 derailleur so any 11 speed cassette would be compatible ?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    That is correct.

If you change the ratio at the back just double check the length of the new chain is correct as too long or too short can sometimes cause poor shifting.

Also short cage rear mechs don't like large cassettes (30T or more, although 30 is sometimes doable) so also check that. Your rear mech will have a code written inside which states if its long or medium cage.

YouTube has loads of guides on how to check both of this.
  • cblake843
    I'm having trouble getting a Shimano cassette cs6800 11-28 replacement, all seem to be sold out except in Spain , where there is a steep postage cost.

I've seen this one CS-R8000 11-28 , what's the difference ? I assume it will still be compatible with my 11 speed hub, rear derailleur setup ?

Any advice on this would be appreciated or alternative 11 speed cassette recommendations .
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Wiggle have them.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    It'll be fine. It's just the new version
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    An R8000 cassette will be fine - both are Ultegra.
    I switched my 68000 11-28 for an R8000 11-30.

But if you have a 105 derailleur and want 11-28, why not get a 105 cassette and chain?
  • cblake843
    Singleton wrote:

But if you have a 105 derailleur and want 11-28, why not get a 105 cassette and chain?

Ultegra will be lighter and better quality , lasting longer I hope :-)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I just dont see how the cassette could be causing you the grinding sound - its only a piece of metal ?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    cblake843 wrote:
    Singleton wrote:

50 grams lighter, so of no importance IMHO, about a gobful of water.

I doubt it will last any longer either, but it's your money so crack on :)
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    cblake843 wrote:
    Singleton wrote:

The weight difference is minimal and there's no difference in terms of function. In fact from what I understand 105 stuff lasts longer than Ultegra as it's made from slightly heavier but more robust materials.

I'd get the 105 equipment and used the money saved on something else.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    In my experience the Ultegra cassette is more corrosion resistant. Maybe just me though.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cblake843
    edited April 2018
    SheffSimon wrote:
    cblake843 wrote:
    Singleton wrote:

50 grams lighter, so of no importance IMHO, about a gobful of water.

I doubt it will last any longer either, but it's your money so crack on :)

Interesting. I've ordered now anyway so , first I hope it fixes the issue and secondly see how long it lasts. When I bought the bike it had a 105 cassette and it lasted ~ 1 year. I commute everyday working day ~ 30 Kms in all weathers/ seasons so I don't think that helps with longevity
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    How many times did you change the chain over that time?
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    It depends on the sort of riding you’re doing. If your aim is to ‘smash stuff’ and ‘be the ball yeah’ Id say go for a close range cassette like an 11-23 or similar. If you’re aiming to take on the ‘bergs of London’, or going for actual mountains I’d recommend an 11-32. If you want to don your favourite hockey socks, a rugby top from 1993 ( probably) and join the throng on a flat commute type ride, I’d recommend something like an 11-28 or 11-30. The main point of an 11 Speed set up, is to allow maximum flexibility, with minimal ‘jumps’ between ratios, in order to keep cadence, and power ( the product of cadence and torque, or how fast you rotate the cranks, and how hard you push) as steady as possible. So you have a lot of options, only you can decide. The crankset choice matters as well, if you pair the cassette with an ill thought out choice of crankset, you can cause issues. I personally use a 52-36 crankset, with 170mm cranks, and an 11-30 cassette, on my 11 speed, and find it works well for anything I regularly encounter.
  • cblake843
    GrenW wrote:
    How many times did you change the chain over that time?

Changed only with new cassette.
  • cblake843
    It depends on the sort of riding you’re doing. If your aim is to ‘smash stuff’ and ‘be the ball yeah’ Id say go for a close range cassette like an 11-23 or similar. If you’re aiming to take on the ‘bergs of London’, or going for actual mountains I’d recommend an 11-32. If you want to don your favourite hockey socks, a rugby top from 1993 ( probably) and join the throng on a flat commute type ride, I’d recommend something like an 11-28 or 11-30. The main point of an 11 Speed set up, is to allow maximum flexibility, with minimal ‘jumps’ between ratios, in order to keep cadence, and power ( the product of cadence and torque, or how fast you rotate the cranks, and how hard you push) as steady as possible. So you have a lot of options, only you can decide. The crankset choice matters as well, if you pair the cassette with an ill thought out choice of crankset, you can cause issues. I personally use a 52-36 crankset, with 170mm cranks, and an 11-30 cassette, on my 11 speed, and find it works well for anything I regularly encounter.

Interesting , thanks for the tip. My larger crank is 46 , never use the smaller one so don't care about it. Is 46 crank compatible with 11-28 ? Could this be the root cause of my issue ?

It's relatively flat where I live but can get very windy. I've ridden in 60-70 kmph gusts head on and the 28 really came in handy. As it's only ~ 15 km one direction I always aim to keep above 35 kmph where possible , might try a 11-23 next time round.
  • singleton
    The main point of an 11 Speed set up, is to allow maximum flexibility, with minimal ‘jumps’ between ratios, in order to keep cadence, and power ( the product of cadence and torque, or how fast you rotate the cranks, and how hard you push) as steady as possible.

Hobby horse coming out of the cupboard here.
    I've got a similar setup to you, but it would be nice if Shimano would offer an 11 speed cassette with a 12-28 or 12-30 range. With a 52 up front not many riders need an 11 and I would prefer to switch the 11 for a 16 or 18.
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    Svetty wrote:
    In my experience the Ultegra cassette is more corrosion resistant. Maybe just me though.....
    What kind of corrosion? I've only ever noticed a few spots of surface rust on a cassette if it's not been dried properly but it comes off on the next ride. As far as I know it didn't shorten the life of it.

The ultegra will be lighter but I wouldn't expect it to last any longer than 105.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Singleton wrote:
    The main point of an 11 Speed set up, is to allow maximum flexibility, with minimal ‘jumps’ between ratios, in order to keep cadence, and power ( the product of cadence and torque, or how fast you rotate the cranks, and how hard you push) as steady as possible.

Hobby horse coming out of the cupboard here.
    I've got a similar setup to you, but it would be nice if Shimano would offer an 11 speed cassette with a 12-28 or 12-30 range. With a 52 up front not many riders need an 11 and I would prefer to switch the 11 for a 16 or 18.

12-22 straight through would be perfect for me with a 50/34

In the era of custom frames and mouldable insoles, you can get bespoke everything these days so how long until you can pop your requirements into Shimano's website and a shiny new cassette turns up in the post :D
  • singleton
    12-22 straight through would be perfect for me with a 50/34

In the era of custom frames and mouldable insoles, you can get bespoke everything these days so how long until you can pop your requirements into Shimano's website and a shiny new cassette turns up in the post :D

I keep wondering about getting a 12-25 rear to go with my 52/36 but I'm not sure I'm brave enough or strong enough yet to keep that on.
    I've done some alpine climbs such as Alpe d'huez on a 36-28 setup so a 25 should be fine for most of my local rides since things are quite flat around me.
    Maybe I should get one for general UK riding and then I can always change it if going somewhere steeper.