58 to a 56 Cannondale

ollaay
ollaay Posts: 166
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
Currently riding a 58cm cannondale supersix at 6'1 and I've just been tempted by a newer supersix in a 56cm, would it be too small?

At the moment running the 58cm with a 110mm stem and with a 34/35 inseam and I have a slightly shorter torso and longer legs. Possibly run it with 130mm stem it'd work and still be comfortable?

Cheers

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    As you appear to have long legs relative to your torso a 56 should be fine providing you are reasonably flexible such that the head-tube isn't too short.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ollaay
    Svetty wrote:
    As you appear to have long legs relative to your torso a 56 should be fine providing you are reasonably flexible such that the head-tube isn't too short.
    Ok cheers for that, confusing reading some people my height fit a 56 and some don't.

With a top tube length of 1.4cm less will just mean ill need a stem that much longer than my 110mm right? And seat post will still be what mine is at the moment of 79cm from the BB.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Cannondale generally run slightly larger than their mainstream competitors.

At 6ft and with considerably longer legs than I should have for my height I have test ridden a 56 Synapse and it felt spot on. I test rode a 56 Trek Domane and couldn't even get the seat post high enough.

So you should be OK, just watch the drop from saddle to bars, especially if you suffer with back or neck problems.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Better to compare stack and reach between the two framesets with respect to your current saddle and bar height (ie spacers), there are websites that do this too.

You can easily tweak the effective TT length through a longer stem, but can you cope with the 20mm extra drop the 56's shorter head tube will bring?
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • ollaay
    dstev55 wrote:

At 6ft and with considerably longer legs than I should have for my height I have test ridden a 56 Synapse and it felt spot on. I test rode a 56 Trek Domane and couldn't even get the seat post high enough.

So you should be OK, just watch the drop from saddle to bars, especially if you suffer with back or neck problems.
    What's you're inseam being 6ft? Cheers for that
  • ollaay
    Matt_N wrote:
    Better to compare stack and reach between the two framesets with respect to your current saddle and bar height (ie spacers), there are websites that do this too.

You can easily tweak the effective TT length through a longer stem, but can you cope with the 20mm extra drop the 56's shorter head tube will bring?
    Saddles 79cm from the bb and spacer wise it's near the bottom of the stack. Surely I can just start with the stack higher on the 56 and slowly move my way down. Thanks for the info.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I have a 56 SS Evo - I'm 6ft but with short legs - BB centre to saddle height of 77cm. I use a 120mm stem.......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    ollaay wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

What's you're inseam being 6ft? Cheers for that

About 88cm if I remember correctly.

Edit - when i say I'm 6ft, I'm actually just shy of 6ft, about 182cm to be more precise.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    I'm 5ft 10, and ride a 54 Synapse.
    I have the same inside leg as you, well 34", and need a 54 so the reach for me is not too great.
    Expect you would be fine.

That also tallies/relates to what dstev55 has found, granted we are on a different model!

Have also ridden a Caad, and 54 was right for me there too.

The first bike I bought based on my height, was a 56 :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18