Campag EPS 11 speed V3 or new 12 speed mechanical?

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
With the advent of the new 12 speed mechanical groupsets, Campag”s announced that they are working on a new EPS, most certainly with a 12 speed rear mech.

I”m planning to upgrade a groupset for one of my bikes for a long time. I’ve replaced an old mirage for the new Centaur and I’m astonished with this entry level groupset, to the point that I feel it shifts better than my 2013 Record groupset Installed on another bike.

Waiting for the new EPS is out of question since it would be out of my reach (financially speaking), so my current dilema is choosing between the newest 12 speed Record and the “end of the line” 11 speed Record EPS.

What you guys think?

Comments

• proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Get the 11 speed EPS.

EPS way better than any mechanical shifting, and you’ll be very disappointed standing at the side of the road asking asking neutral service for a 12 speed wheel.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have record 11 speed V3 EPS and it is nice but my mechanical groupsets shift well. I dont think I would buy another electronic groupset. Its nice but alot of money for little gain.

Mechanical groupsets just need maintanence. Just set it up right and fix it when it mis shifts.

A puncture in a race for most mortals is the end of that race so whether neutral service have a wheel for you is irrelevant.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    12 speed fits on 11 speed wheels so we're creating an issue that isn't an issue here.
  • naavt
    dstev55 wrote:
    12 speed fits on 11 speed wheels so we're creating an issue that isn't an issue here.

Not an issue for sure. The thing is deciding between the 2 groups, since I suspect they will end at around the same exact price point.
  • Only you can tell whether the UltraShift manual or electronic is best.

Personally, if I get any tool out, my bike just instantly sulks and falls apart. If you are excellent at indexing your gears then I can't see how Ultra shift manual can be improved on. But If not then EPS (or Di for that matter) must be the way to go and it is ultimately configurable anyway.

After that, it's a matter of aerodynamics. You'll get 1 watt from that new crank ........ oh and a smoother gear change in one of the cogs somewhere.
  • naavt
    Only you can tell whether the UltraShift manual or electronic is best.

Never tried an electronic groupset, so not really. That's why I would like to ear from the ones who have experience with them.
    (...)oh and a smoother gear change in one of the cogs somewhere.

For someone who doesn't speak english natively, I suspect you're being ironic right? Do you suspect that the "smoother gear change" Campag announces with their new groupsets are all hype?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Assuming prices on mechanical 11sp gruppos ease as dealers shift stock ahead of 12sp arrival I'd look for a bargain on 11sp Record/SR.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • naavt
    Svetty wrote:
    Assuming prices on mechanical 11sp gruppos ease as dealers shift stock ahead of 12sp arrival I'd look for a bargain on 11sp Record/SR.

That's my expectations also, only related to EPS 11s groupsets. If I had to choose between SR or Record EPS I think I would have the electronic one.