23mm tyre that actually measures 23mm

warrior4life
warrior4life Posts: 925
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
I have a 2013 Supersix that I got from Pauls cycles 2 years ago. It was discounted from £5000 to £1800 so seemed a bargain.
The issue I have is tyre rub at the rear, I’m using GP4000 23mm that measure just under 25mm.
I don’t want to waste money on a tyre that isn’t the listed width so I’m looking for a genuine 23mm tyre.

Getting to a point where I feel like changing the frame.

Comments

• alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    I have a 2013 Supersix that I got from Pauls cycles 2 years ago. It was discounted from £5000 to £1800 so seemed a bargain.
    The issue I have is tyre rub at the rear, I’m using GP4000 23mm that measure just under 25mm.
    I don’t want to waste money on a tyre that isn’t the listed width so I’m looking for a genuine 23mm tyre.

Buy some GP4000's sized 20mm, currently available at wiggle for £29.99

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gra ... road-tyre/
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The actual width very much depends on your rim width - it's not necessarily an issue with the tyres...
  • Imposter wrote:
    The actual width very much depends on your rim width - it's not necessarily an issue with the tyres...
    Yes it is, I’m using a wheel with 21mm outer.
  • I have a 2013 Supersix that I got from Pauls cycles 2 years ago. It was discounted from £5000 to £1800 so seemed a bargain.

Buy some GP4000's sized 20mm, currently available at wiggle for £29.99

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gra ... road-tyre/

Cool, thank you. I’ll grab a pair now.
    Bucking the trend of 25+mm tyre and going old school.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Veloflex Corsa or Master tyres in 23mm measure no more than 23mm
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    Yes it is, I’m using a wheel with 21mm outer.

Which means a 23c tyre will more than likely come up wider than on a more 'traditional' narrower rim.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Mr_Mojo wrote:
    Veloflex Corsa or Master tyres in 23mm measure no more than 23mm
    Seconded. Veloflex are my go-to clinchers and do measure their stated width on anything other than very wide rims.
    I also have a Mk 1 SS Evo and can run 25mm tyres ( not Conti GP 4Ks) on 20mm internal width rims - although they are a wee bit tight. I'm slightly surprised your frame is as marginal as you state although the GP 4K is famously generous.......
    Get 25mm Veloflex and you'll be as happy as a pig in s**t :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    23mm is not old school. I have several bikes from the 90's that can run tyres wider than 23mm. most cant fit a 27mm or 28mm tyre and these a race bikes of there day.

Veloflex tyres are generally quite narrow. I have a set of 22m corsa I dont use that even on wide rims were only 22mm wide.

IRC tyres also come up true to size on wide rims so on a narrow rim they will be smaller. A 24mm aspite should be 23mm wide on a 21mm wide rim.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.