Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Filmed on a phone?

Mick CornickMick Cornick Posts: 175
edited May 2018 in Commuting chat
censored article in the Metro but filmed on a mobile phone?
Seen a few of these things recently where an idiot has posted a rant on YouTube or Twitter using their phone.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/13/driver-fu ... h-7464664/

Posts

  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,747
    edited April 2018
    I see no issue with that?
    A passenger in Jerry’s van filmed the hold-up around 8.30am this morning
    I note its a shared bike and pedestrian path, in my experience they are poor for those who cycle at speed, with give ways at all the side turns and frequently pedestrians using the full width, although I don't know this one at all.

    Yup here at least it has side road give ways, can we get a road planner to explain how that encourages a cyclist to use it?
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.05631 ... 312!8i6656
  • wolfsbane2kwolfsbane2k Posts: 2,957
    The Rookie wrote:
    I see no issue with that?
    A passenger in Jerry’s van filmed the hold-up around 8.30am this morning
    I note its a shared bike and pedestrian path, in my experience they are poor for those who cycle at speed, with give ways at all the side turns and frequently pedestrians using the full width, although I don't know this one at all.

    Don't believe that it was a passenger for a second angle is wrong.
    . No talking either, how often do people in a van making a complaint on video actually not say anything.

    And yes, shared path with give ways at junctions... If use the road thanks.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • bendertherobotbendertherobot Posts: 11,642
    Looks to be belting along. DT guidance is to use the road.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,747
    The Rookie wrote:
    I see no issue with that?
    Don't believe that it was a passenger for a second angle is wrong.
    I can't see the video through my company firewall, but the still looks at the right angle, agree with you about talking though, unless it was so colorful they've dubbed it!
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 11,695
    The Rookie wrote:
    I see no issue with that?
    A passenger in Jerry’s van filmed the hold-up around 8.30am this morning
    I note its a shared bike and pedestrian path, in my experience they are poor for those who cycle at speed, with give ways at all the side turns and frequently pedestrians using the full width, although I don't know this one at all.

    Yup here at least it has side road give ways, can we get a road planner to explain how that encourages a cyclist to use it?
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.05631 ... 312!8i6656
    Similar to what happened near me. A perfectly good wide road with plenty of passing space was narrowed to accommodate a shared path that is not fit for purpose. The result, cyclists on a narrow road making things more dangerous.
    Are cyclists ever consulted about cycle paths? I doubt it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    Holding up traffic... He is traffic, he's in secondary, and I doubt he was consulted on the cyclepath.
    Maybe take the large van a different route, such as one of the many multimillion pound motorways we can't use...

    Incidentally that Google Street view linked is the end of the cycle path, not an interruption to it.
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    I see no issue with that?
    Don't believe that it was a passenger for a second angle is wrong.
    I can't see the video through my company firewall, but the still looks at the right angle, agree with you about talking though, unless it was so colorful they've dubbed it!

    yeah right angle for the driver holding the phone in the middle of the dash,as I don't believe the 2nd windscreen wiper on most if not all vehicles, pivots on the passenger side, that's the centre line of that van,and no one would sit in a passenger seat hold their phone to the middle of the van possibly in the way of the driver trying to change gears, and then point it back angling left.

    its just usual feels entitled white van man rantings, chucks in a we pay for the roads bingo sentence too.

    cyclist was doing nothing wrong and holding no-one up at all.

    and yes we do get "consulted" when councils build things like that, but its a box ticking exercise ime, when you point out things like the shared path will have all those usability problems, and you will get harassed by idiots like our van driver if you are on the road, you just get told, well you are allowed to use the road and if you feel unsafe use the path. there doesnt seem to be any comprehension of what you are telling them
  • wolfsbane2kwolfsbane2k Posts: 2,957
    awavey wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    I see no issue with that?
    Don't believe that it was a passenger for a second angle is wrong.
    I can't see the video through my company firewall, but the still looks at the right angle, agree with you about talking though, unless it was so colorful they've dubbed it!

    yeah right angle for the driver holding the phone in the middle of the dash,as I don't believe the 2nd windscreen wiper on most if not all vehicles, pivots on the passenger side, that's the centre line of that van,and no one would sit in a passenger seat hold their phone to the middle of the van possibly in the way of the driver trying to change gears, and then point it back angling left.

    its just usual feels entitled white van man rantings, chucks in a we pay for the roads bingo sentence too.

    cyclist was doing nothing wrong and holding no-one up at all.

    and yes we do get "consulted" when councils build things like that, but its a box ticking exercise ime, when you point out things like the shared path will have all those usability problems, and you will get harassed by idiots like our van driver if you are on the road, you just get told, well you are allowed to use the road and if you feel unsafe use the path. there doesnt seem to be any comprehension of what you are telling them


    This.
    I've recently joined our local campaign group, it's been going 20+ years, and they showed me some of their responses to consultations for roads that are now in place and I'm incredibly vocal to the local council about how poor it is...
    "Stop de Kindermoord" or "Stop the Child Murder" in English, currently in the UK under as Stop Killngcyclists, definitely has its place.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 2,118
    1) The "cycle path" doesn't look like they've done much to help cyclists. Looks like its just a path that they have now said cyclists can ride on? The width of it changes constantly and is crossed by many driveways which you would need to stop for
    2) The cyclist is not holding anyone up and there were numerous opportunities in the clip for the van driver to overtake if he wished
    3) It was one cyclist, so suddenly all cyclists are trying to deliberately make things hard for drivers. Bollocks.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
    Tall....
  • roger_merrimanroger_merriman Posts: 6,145
    Looks like it’s taken by the driver.

    In much the same way that for slower riders/drivers aren’t much slower if at all, over the distance, I’d be amazed if the van driver was attually delyed. And even if by some miracle they are well that’s life, you get held up by traffic!

    Shared paths next to big roads seem even if useable to be very underused, my commute takes me north up to Hillingdon circuit, from the A4 it’s got a off road shared path, all the way up. It is in places narrow though still wide enough to pass.

    But it’s largely underused, and folks on iffy E bikes etc if I do see another bike, I occasionally see roadies but on the road which is possibly marginally faster, and certainly less glass infested but frankly can’t be nice, it’s a horrible road, but acesss to the path is a) not signposted and b) in places fiddly.
  • I think it is totally fine. it is not easy to catch an interesting moment, if you caught it then you shared the video withouting thinking much :)
  • adskisadskis Posts: 85
    I live right by this. Its the new cycle path works in Harston, on the A10 into Cambridge. One of the busiest (car traffic) routes in the city. This bit through Harston is less than a mile long.

    https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/resid ... 0-harston/

    I didnt even know it was completed until I just checked the council site, and this article is from a month ago.

    There has been loads of construction stuff all along it. I wouldn't have used it either. I might now that it is finished.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 48,062 Lives Here
    Yeah A10 lethal in general.

    Have a google “A10 accident” and it’s about a death a month. Lots of overturned lorries too.

    Aren’t many roads I’d avoid riding on but that is definitely one of them.
Sign In or Register to comment.