How bad is this frame damage?

awiseman
awiseman Posts: 35
edited April 2018 in Road general
New frame arrived today but it looks like the stem has hit the top tube. Seller contacted and waiting a reply. To my eyes this looks like paint layer damage but I could be wrong. Would anyone with more experience of this sort of thing like to share their thoughts. Would like to keep the frame if possible as it's a Sarto.

WP_20180413_11_01_26_Pro.jpg

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Could do with some more pics from different angles, but first impression is that I would be returning that...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    Looks like old damage and peeling paint over it to me.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I would return that.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    As above
  • I would be returning that...
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    That's pretty major damage and impossible to determine whether it's simply superficial paint or more likely, has created a 'bruise' in the composite laminate structure - I'd refuse to accept it in that condition.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • awiseman
    awiseman Posts: 35
    Thanks for all the replies
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    I would not ride this. Toptubes on modern carbon bikes aren't that strong in that direction. It's may or may not repairable, but for a new bike it's unacceptable either way.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If it was sold as 'new' it should go back unless the price you paid makes a repair viable. A reputable carbon repair company could repair that with no visual sign so it may still be worth keeping it if the purchase price was low.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I would not want to keep that if i had paid for it. If free I would be a bit scared when stressing it. I did buy a Raleigh SP 531 steel frame with a dent in the downtube. It was quarter price. It lasted about 5 years or 25000 miles then developed a spiral fracture which started in the dent.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've a handlebar dent in my Ali cross bike and it's been there for thousands of miles. I'd not accept it out of the box on a carbon frame though.
  • JakeJ
    JakeJ Posts: 151
    Before this thread I'd never heard of Sarto...

Now I've found the ultimate dream bike catalogue.