TT: How far over front wheel before it gets dangerous?

burnthesheep
burnthesheep Posts: 675
edited April 2018 in Road general
I'm trying to stretch the limits of my TT setup on the road bike. Limits exist.

I'd rather not die from making a poor geometry decision. Right now, it's appearing that I'm super aero but totally compromising my body geometry in the process at a huge power cost. For 25.5mph in a 10 miler I'm only at about 225w. I'm short a full 40 to 60w from the road position.

I've got a few choices to fix it:
-shorten the crank (but I have a left crank power meter)
-move the torso forward (further over the front wheel), with a stem change or ski/armrest adjustment
-lower the seat (less aero)
-raise the stack (less aero)
-try a fork from a Giant TT bike if it shifts the front hub forward and has the tucked brakes

I feel the wattage vs. mph is pretty good right now. But, the power output as a ratio of my road setup is abysmal. Horrid. Training in position could help, but I feel setup can go a long way too.

How far of having your weight over the front wheel gets into the dangerous area? Right now my elbows rest right in line with the steering tube. Is another 2 inches forward pushing it too far?

With this in mind, it's short TT's. 25min or less once a month. So, comfort be damned at cost of power output and aero.

I'm researching if the angle from the forks meeting the steerer area on a Trinity is advantageous. If I could get one cheap enough and it has the similar mounting as the Propel for the brakes......it would improve the handling while allowing you to move forward.

TT bike is the answer, but that won't happen for probably a year.

Budget: I can afford to grab a cheap stem, a used fork, etc.....

Comments