Orbea Orca Disc or Rim

tmr1980
tmr1980 Posts: 48
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
Just deliberating over whether to go disc or rim for new summer bike (used mainly for commuting on 25 mile round trip and odd Sunday group ride).

Disc has better braking and future proofs me, rim is cheaper, lighter, more aero and will go straight on Turbo.

Difference in weight will be 500/600g.

Any views from people who have ridden both rim and disc road bike?

Comments

• yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    If you dont plan to ride that bike on the wet you dont really need disc brakes, but then looks like that every manufacturer is heading to that direction. That means that if you want to sell a rim brake bike in a few years will loose more value than the disc version, thats the downside, but again with the money you can save you can buy a good set of wheels so the decision is on you.
  • Fat mamils who descend too fast for their abilities opt for disc breaks on road bikes
    Everyone else is happy with rims breaks
    Cross bikes, adventure bikes and communters are better with discs
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    We haven't had a disk v rim debate for hours now...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    rim unless you really don't know how to ride.

its an Orca not a cx bike or a winter hack for Pete's sake.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Breaks :lol:
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Fat mamils who descend too fast for their abilities opt for disc breaks on road bikes

Them's the breaks.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13090808

Same question, different bike.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Fat mamils who descend too fast for their abilities opt for disc breaks on road bikes
    rim unless you really don't know how to ride.

its an Orca not a cx bike or a winter hack for Pete's sake.

That'll be why I chose disc brakes - fat, new rider.

But then again, I wonder if the weather in a month's time is a bit like the weather is today where I'm sitting - damp, a bit blustery and threatening with rain - how many of those doing the Fred Whitton would love disc brakes as they come over the top of Hardnose.

Now as a considerably thinner and more experienced rider I'm still opting for disc brakes, because you know, weather can change over the course of a ride and I love stopping quickly.

OP, go for whatever feels better to you.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    rim brakes are cigarettes
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    See the related thread posted above.

Don't listen to this man. Maybe don't get discs but not for this reason. Try both and see which you like the feel of most, it's a preference thing and you might find you like rims more and can save weight.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    HaydenM wrote:
    See the related thread posted above.

Don't listen to this man. Maybe don't get discs but not for this reason. Try both and see which you like the feel of most, it's a preference thing and you might find you like rims more and can save weight.

^ This. Don't take any notice of pathetic comments like the one about fat mamils. Try them for yourself and make your own decision. For what it's worth I've got both and wouldn't get rid of either. And I don't choose disc based purely on weather conditions.
    Any ride with long descents or technical downhill riding is where discs excel. The only downside to discs is the weight penalty and to be honest the weight penalty isn't always a bad thing. My 8kg disc bike feels far more stable on fast descents and in crosswinds than my sub 6kg tarmac.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537
    I have both and I’m happy with braking with either. For me the main selling point of the disc brake is so as not to wreck an expensive set of wheels. Easier/cheaper to replace a small bit of break disc metal.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    edited April 2018
    Read Nxt post
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Go for the disc version. As others say, buy an expensive pair of great wheels and use them and your best bike in any weather, all year round, until the bearings need sorting then carry on using them till the bearings need sorting.............
    With a best disc brake road bike there is no reason I can see for it to just be your 'summer's best bike. All you need to do is swap out tyres. The tyre choice will increase as a disc bikes will likely have better clearance for wider tyres.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I'm generally pretty anti-disc on road bikes, but if the bike is going to be mainly used for commuting in all weathers then they make some sense. But I wouldn't commute on my best bike!