Poll - Which Groupset?

poptart242
poptart242 Posts: 531
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
Hypothetical, but I'd like to see what the forum thinks. I could be convinced to upgrade from 6800 to either. If you had the cash to do either, what would you do?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I wouldn't upgrade to old spec Di2 simply because i'd want the updated version eventually and the added features of it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Why is R8000 better for you than 6800?

http://road.cc/content/feature/223944-s ... -still-can
    Dual pivot brakes with enough clearance for 28mm tyres might be important to you, for example, you might really like the new hoods and levers design of the R8000 dual control shifters, or you might be putting together a low-geared build for riding in the mountains and want R8000's ability to handle a 34-tooth sprocket.

If you’re not interested in those features, though, Ultegra 6800 remains an outstanding groupset.

So unless you need 28mm tyres or a 34t cog......
  • StillGoing
    Moonbiker wrote:

Dual pivot brakes with enough clearance for 28mm tyres might be important to you, for example, you might really like the new hoods and levers design of the R8000 dual control shifters, or you might be putting together a low-geared build for riding in the mountains and want R8000's ability to handle a 34-tooth sprocket.

If you’re not interested in those features, though, Ultegra 6800 remains an outstanding groupset.

Hidden buttons, rear derailleur action, comes with the latest battery, so no need to change.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Campagnolo Chorus.
  • poptart242
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for the input - it came about from a chat in the club, where another suggestion was to go 1x via SRAM Force.

I saw that email come through from Merlin too, MrB123 - what a bargain, Di2 was pretty vastly reduced too!
  • poptart242
    Moonbiker wrote:

I rode the Hardknott Pass on a 36 small ring and a 28 tooth cog at the weekend... I didn't enjoy it
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I just put a mtb rear mech on my cx bike after the 5700 one got ripped off & destroyed. Works prefect & can go to up to 36t @ rear if wanted.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Di2 over mechanical everyday.

So for me it would be 6870 Di2 over R8000, however if I could get R8070 cheap then that would win out for me, in fact I need a new Di2 rear mech and the R8070 one plays with my 6870 shifters so I may just upgrade the rear mech first, then the front, then the shifters.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Force or Red mechanical. Both a billion times better ultegra.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Sram Force or Red, prefer the shifting.
  • StillGoing
    Force or Red mechanical. Both a billion times better ultegra.

That is an entirely subjective opinion and simply not fact. I'm a lifelong SRAM user having had Force 10 speed, Red 10 speed, Force 22 and still have Rival 22 on my winter/turbo bike. SRAM front shifting is not a match for Shimano in my opinion requiring far more force, although I do prefer the operation of rear shifting with SRAM mechanical over Shimano mechanical and not using the brake lever as a shift lever. If SRAM would improve their front mech operation and prevent the preference for plenty of owners to switch to a Shimano front derailleur, it might be different.
  • poptart242
    Well this poll has *not* been conclusive in any way! Interesting to see everyone's viewpoints too, thanks all
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Not convinced it's worth upgrading to either from 6800, better to look at N+1 and decide what groupset to go on that I think....
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,515
    I'd prefer mechanical to di2 (yes I've had both) but can't see that going to R8000 is worth the effort or money.
  • Force or Red mechanical. Both a billion times better ultegra.

:lol:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul