converting 160mm to 140mm rear rotor?

rob13
rob13 Posts: 430
edited April 2018 in Workshop
This may be obvious but my Croix de fer uses 160mm rotors front and rear. I've just bought another bike which takes 160mm front, and 140mm rear and i'd like to be able to swap wheelsets between them. I know I can upgrade the other bike so that it takes 160mm front and rear but ideally I'd like to stick with 140mm.

Is it possible to convert what is a 160mm rotor on the below setup, to a 140mm rotor using an adapter?

Genesis%20Croix%20de%20Fer%20Titanium%20rear%20brake.jpg

Comments

• rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    Anyone? I want to order the adapter ASAP so that i've got the 2 wheelsets to swap between.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    Can't see why not. Don't you just need a less high mounting adapter?

Rotors might be in a slightly different position on each hub in relation to the caliper when installed so you might need to adjust this when you swap wheels (a bit like my two rear wheels have slightly different dishing so the rear caliper needs to shift slightly depending on wheel set I'm using.)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Can't see why not. Don't you just need a less high mounting adapter?

Rotors might be in a slightly different position on each hub in relation to the caliper when installed so you might need to adjust this when you swap wheels (a bit like my two rear wheels have slightly different dishing so the rear caliper needs to shift slightly depending on wheel set I'm using.)

Totally agree. You just have to change the black caliper mount.

For what it's worth the bigger rotor will have more stopping power. Unless you have 'more than enough power' you might want to convert the 140mm bike to 160mm instead.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I'd go with the 140. Looks better and has way more power than you'll ever need. 160 on the rear seems too much to me.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc