Trek 2.0 2016 build

garryboy1888
garryboy1888 Posts: 41
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to get my first road bike and my local trek dealer has an ex display 2016 Trek Domane 2.0 frame. I have seen the frame and its in spotless condition. He said he can build the bike using all new parts using full Tiagra 4700 groupset and also providing quality new wheels and tyres for £500 complete with Usual trek life time frame warranty.

I had a budget of £500 -£550 for a new bike but most of the bikes in this price bracket have the Sora or claris groupset like btwin triban 520 or the Boardman street.

anyone thoughts on whether the trek is good value at this price?

many thanks
garry

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I'm looking to get my first road bike and my local trek dealer has an ex display 2016 Trek Domane 2.0 frame. I have seen the frame and its in spotless condition. He said he can build the bike using all new parts using full Tiagra 4700 groupset and also providing quality new wheels and tyres for £500 complete with Usual trek life time frame warranty.

I had a budget of £500 -£550 for a new bike but most of the bikes in this price bracket have the Sora or claris groupset like btwin triban 520 or the Boardman street.

many thanks
    garry

Not sure why you need to ask. I'd bite his hand off

Tiagra 4700 would cost about £250 retail (OK so he will have paid trade on that)
    Half decent wheelset maybe £150
    Add in your bars, stem, seatpost and saddle and you're over £500 without thinking about the labour or the cost of the frame.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Seem like a very good deal if you like at the price of the bottom of the range Domane with Claris
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Trek/D ... y%20(Brand)&utm_term=4582008551573856&utm_content=AW17%20Bikes&gclid=CPDKm9mfstoCFcPUGwodfDEOPQ&gclsrc=ds
  • Thanks for advice. The chap was proper enthusiast, one man band Trek dealer so knows his stuff. said it will be a really nice bike once built up.

Was really just making sure I was doing the right thing. Its a lot of money for me and will have the bike for a while.

Ive given him a call and placed deposit on it so he will now order the parts up.

looking forward to getting the bike now

Thanks again for your advice.
  • Freeza
    Freeza Posts: 128
    I'm looking to get my first road bike

Possibly an obvious question but how do you know it's the right size frame for you?
  • Freeza wrote:
    I'm looking to get my first road bike

Possibly an obvious question but how do you know it's the right size frame for you?

He had a fewTrek road bikes for me to try. of the ones I tried the 52cm frame was the best fit. the 50 to small and the 54 to big.
  • arlowood wrote:

many thanks
    garry

Not sure why you need to ask. I'd bite his hand off

Tiagra 4700 would cost about £250 retail (OK so he will have paid trade on that)
    Half decent wheelset maybe £150
    Add in your bars, stem, seatpost and saddle and you're over £500 without thinking about the labour or the cost of the frame.

I think he was happy to see the go to new owner rather than collecting dust in the back of his smallish shop. He local 5 mins walk away in a quiet village so knows I will return for servicing and consumables for the bike. That's where I think hel make most of his profit from me.
  • Jayme
    Jayme Posts: 48
    considering it was £800 new built up with tiagra components, I would say you are getting a cracking deal
  • Got my bike at last. Really happy with it. Very comfortable and so light compared to my Hybrid.

Got it through the cyclescheme so works out a good bit less the £500 price.

hQEJocA.jpg
    Pv5EcVQ.jpg
    fSypl1u.jpg
    61aSKN4.jpg
    m3lNP4F.jpg