Cero AR24 or Cero AR30

jaylfc147
jaylfc147 Posts: 49
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Looking at buying a new wheel set to replace my Fulcrum Racing 5 training wheels.

Have decided on some Cero wheels as they are buy far the cheapest and look to have really good reviews.

Can anyone explain why the Cero30 are nearly twice as much as the AR24’s. I can only see that they are only slightly heavier (by about 30g), they have a deeper profile and are more aero. Is that it?

Also looking for recommendations on the AR24’s or alternatives, it is a bit purchase for me so want it to be right.

Thanks
James

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    a club mate who is a bit on the fatter side of cycling had a set of ar30's and really enjoyed them. the 24's look very good value, Ideal for climbing as they are pretty damn light. compared to more modern rims, they are slightly narrow, but are tubeless ready so that's a good thing.

I haven't heard many bad reviews on them. as for the aero characteristics of a 30mm vs 24mm rim there won't be much to it.

only thing I'd say is the hubs are probably fairly budget. not that that's a bad thing.
  • jaylfc147
    Thanks for the quick reply Phil, hope your club mate doesn’t read it though :lol:

Great advice, I just can’t justify the extra spend on the AR30’s. All the reviews are very positive so think I might go with the AR24’s. I’ve read comments that they were down to £130 which is annoying but still looks like a good deal at £180.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    they (ar24) would make for a great set of general purpose fast-ish training wheels. legacy ar30's used to have minor issues with winter weather (bearings), but nowadays I haven't heard anything bad about them.
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    I have a set of AR30s, had them about 18 months now. Brilliant wheelset. True, the bearings just spin for ages and theyre light. I'm a big fan of Cero as i've also got their ARD23s. The only criticism I have is that the freehub doesn't have a biteguard on it. Saying that, I'd happily buy another set from them if required. If they eventually do a wider CRD38 then I may get a pair.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Ive got a set of CERO AR24 Evos on my Boardman Team Carbon and they are great for the money. Ive no experience of other brands/wheels but I wrote a review on here somewhere about my experience in fitting etc. Also some data on weights of my stock to CERO wheels which I fitted with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless from the off.
    Cant fault them for the cash to be honest..

If I find it I will post a link.

T
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13088257&hilit=CERO+AR24

There you go. Quick update since the last post.
    No punctures,, that Im aware of.. They are far lighter, climber easier and go/roll better than the stock fitted with Conti GP 4000sii.

No brainer for me, best £270 upgrade ( tyres and fittings included ) for a less than a £1k/Grand bike.
  • Different rim, spokes and hub.
    Personally I’d go 24’s. They have lighter rims and bigger bearing in the hub with better seals.
    Both wheels are good but for the money 24’s win for me. Pretty sure the real weight difference between the wheel sets is around 20g and that’s just the 24’s rear hub.
  • jaylfc147
    Thanks for all the replies, it is very much appreciated. It is a big purchase for me, lots of saving up so I am grateful for the advice. I am going to order the AR24's tonight, can't wait!