Tubs and valve extenders

MisterMuncher
MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
edited April 2018 in Workshop
Having a little difficulty with my planet X 50 tubs. I bought them second hand, and don't use them much, but they hold air pretty well. I wanted to put a bit more air into one, but the presta valve is closed. The extender is a simple straight-tube type that screws onto the valve.

Anyone any clever notions how I'd get the valve open? I really don't fancy removing a tub for something so seemingly trivial

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,899
    with that type of extender the valves should be twisted open hard, if loose they might gradually screw themselves shut with road vibration

try removing the extender to create more space, then push a piece of snug tube onto the valve head to try and turn it open, then replace the extender (seal may not be so good if it had/needed ptfe tape on, but you'll just need to pump faster)

i only use the type where you unscrew the valve core and put it on the end of the extender, much better, plus it allows core removal to fix a flat with sealant
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Well, they were second hand, and I only used them for the odd TT, so I haven't really chosen the tyres, not until I run out what's already on there.

Trying various sizes of tubing now. Next thing will be the various little tweezers, clips and grips there are lying around.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I don't really get what the issue is here - the valve core is supposed to have been removed before fitting the extender. The valve core is then fitted into the end of the extender instead. Are you saying the extender was fitted without removing the original valve core first?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,899
    Imposter wrote:
    I don't really get what the issue is here - the valve core is supposed to have been removed before fitting the extender. The valve core is then fitted into the end of the extender instead. Are you saying the extender was fitted without removing the original valve core first?

he's got the type that go over the valve core, zipp/others do them, like this...

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSPXCC015 ... e-extender
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny