SRAM RED eTap

tmg
tmg Posts: 651
edited April 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of upgrading so just need the hop up kit and have started looking around the web to see where is the best price, seems to be a lack of stock generally, are they expecting an update soon hence why they are not available?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,642
    seems to be in stock where i look

pbk currently doing the upgrade kit for under a grand...

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-gr ... 49681.html

afaik there're no rumours of any etap bits being superceded, usually that sort of thing leaks out as team bikes are spotted with new bits, sram don't seem to change things nearly as often as shimano
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • tmg
    Thanks, looking at PBK I get a price of £1145 with the extra discount code TOP10, definitely want to get it for closer to a grand
  • sungod
    tmg wrote:
    Thanks, looking at PBK I get a price of £1145 with the extra discount code TOP10, definitely want to get it for closer to a grand

ahhh, sorry, it thinks i'm in the usa due to our network, so it was leaving off the vat, if i force uk it goes to the price you are seeing

try https://www.bike24.com or https://r2-bike.com they are showing c. 1,110 €, both are reliable to deal with, delivery is quick
  • tmg
    I just ordered from Bike-discount.de as they had it for 1029 euro which is just over £900, hopefully get it before the weekend :)
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    tmg wrote:
    I just ordered from Bike-discount.de as they had it for 1029 euro which is just over £900, hopefully get it before the weekend :)

For anyone looking for a total upgrade, another German bike shop has a complete Red eTap group at 1830 €, slightly higher than the 1804 € at bike-discount, but in-stock with a choice of cranks, and 1900 € for the WiFli version (no idea if this shop has a good rating): https://www.procycle-parts.de/startseite/komplettgruppen. Maybe SRAM is allowing prices to become more competitive compared to Shimano's offerings. It is tempting as I have an old ten speed bike with external cabling, and I would love to move to electronic shifting. Then I saw that Canyon had one of last season's bikes with Ultegra DI2 discounted to 2200 €. It made me think it might be worth waiting to the end of the year in the hope of picking up a new 2018 bike with the R8050 groupset for 300 € more than the SRAM group.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    JS14 wrote:
    Then I saw that Canyon had one of last season's bikes with Ultegra DI2 discounted to 2200 €. It made me think it might be worth waiting to the end of the year in the hope of picking up a new 2018 bike with the R8050 groupset for 300 € more than the SRAM group.

I'm a lifelong SRAM user and intended going down the eTap route myself. I ended up with R8050 instead simply for the added features. With synchro shift, I can always get the shifters to work the same as SRAM eTap anyway and just leave the front rings to do their own thing automatically. eTap does have the advantage of a simple fit and set up, and the dreaded dead battery can be rectified by carrying a spare.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Chain reaction had it recently for £1050. Snatched it up with a cycle to work voucher. Bargain.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    philthy3 wrote:
    eTap does have the advantage of a simple fit and set up, and the dreaded dead battery can be rectified by carrying a spare.

Di2 is simple to set up, not quite as simple as eTap granted, but you only fit it once so it isn’t really an issue. And why would you think it advantageous to carry a spare battery every time you go out? I am always trying to carry less kit when I go riding rather than more...I’d rather just have Di2 and display the battery charge level on my Garmin, thus no reason to get caught out with a flat battery...

PP
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Chain reaction had it recently for £1050. Snatched it up with a cycle to work voucher. Bargain.

Did you get 10% off for BC membership? Missed a trick if not! :wink:

PP
  • StillGoing
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    eTap does have the advantage of a simple fit and set up, and the dreaded dead battery can be rectified by carrying a spare.

Di2 is simple to set up, not quite as simple as eTap granted, but you only fit it once so it isn’t really an issue. And why would you think it advantageous to carry a spare battery every time you go out? I am always trying to carry less kit when I go riding rather than more...I’d rather just have Di2 and display the battery charge level on my Garmin, thus no reason to get caught out with a flat battery...

PP

I have R8050 on the main bike. My point is, that eTap is easier to fit than Di2, simply because there is no routing of cables required, particularly if you have the bar end junction A and route the cable through the bars. If you're doing long rides or forgot to charge overnight, the ability to carry a spare battery for the possibility of battery failure is a no brainer. At just 24g, it is hardly going to make much difference. A lot more practical than carrying and fitting a spare battery for Di2 or struggling home stuck in the small or big ring.
  • sungod
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

PP
    there's absolutely no need to carry a spare battery with etap, simply check charge every so often, only takes < 10 seconds

if needed charge battery
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    sungod wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

PP
    there's absolutely no need to carry a spare battery with etap, simply check charge every so often, only takes < 10 seconds

if needed charge battery

Yeah this really. The battery lasts a fair old while. And you can check battery level via your computer so just make itvhabbit to check and you’ll be fine. Worse ways if the rear battery goes you can swap it out with the front one to get you home.

Not trying to get involved in an etap vs di2 debate, but etap works very well.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • StillGoing
    sungod wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

PP

if needed charge battery

Strewth, yes there's no need, it is an added benefit of eTap over Di2 though should you ever find the need.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    You don’t need a computer to check the battery levels. Just change gear at the end of your ride and check the led is green. If not charge the battery.
  • vpnikolov
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    vpnikolov wrote:

PP
    I tried... they said NO. :cry:
  • vpnikolov wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    vpnikolov wrote:

PP

I work in the Cycle trade and I can tell you that most if not all retailers will never allow a discount code in addition to Cycle to Work as the CTW is a form of finance and generally you can't have discount with finance.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    vpnikolov wrote:

PP

I work in the Cycle trade and I can tell you that most if not all retailers will never allow a discount code in addition to Cycle to Work as the CTW is a form of finance and generally you can't have discount with finance.
    It was worth a try, though. :wink: